SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's the line between "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "regular maintenance"?

I say this because I read about re-torquing the head bolts, my car has 136k over it's 10 years, and weeps oil on the corner nearest the left side headlight.

Would I be better off letting it go until I see a significant problem, or start acquiring possible needed items?

·
Registered
292 Posts
shinobidice said:
Where's the line between "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "regular maintenance"?

I say this because I read about re-torquing the head bolts, my car has 136k over it's 10 years, and weeps oil on the corner nearest the left side headlight.

Would I be better off letting it go until I see a significant problem, or start acquiring possible needed items?
With head bolts, I would put it in the regular maintenance category. The "don't fix it" option is to wait until you blow a head gasket, something thats not an option for me.

I'm glad I re-torqued mine. There were several that were well below the 2nd stage torque. Apparently the problem is that the head is aluminum and the block is iron, so the different expansion conttraction rates of the metals is tough on the headbolts.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The head bolts can be retorqued once without needing replacement. You should only have to retorque the head once anyways, so it usually works out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is what I do.
I look at the car 4 times a year with a critical eye. Once for each season. Usually the season before it has arrived. For example, this fall I was looking in to the things that I would need for winter.
I discovered that the pass. CV boot was torn. The coolant system had a leak in it and I had a ground issue with one of my head lights. So things I cant live without: heat and CV boot ( I didnt want salt and sand getting up in there and having a hay day.)
The system has worked pretty well for me this far. It lets me get a head of the game most of the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts