SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put in my 6x9s in the rear tonight (under-mounted), but I get as much bass out of them as I do my factory 3.5s in the dash. Any thoughts? Seems to be moving a lot of air from the cone, but that's about all it's doing...

:x :x AB :x :x

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
Also check the efficiency rating. A difference of just a couple of decibels can make a huge difference in the sound level. If they're not very efficient, then the low-powered head unit won't be able to do much with them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lms said:
What ohm's are they?
S...O...a...B...!!!

lms, you may be onto something with that comment. I just realized, of all the stupid things I've done, I didn't go online and look that up. It wasn't listed in the ad I bought them from, and it never occurred to me to check. All the others I compared them to were 4 ohms. These are 2 ohms.

So what does knowing they are 2 ohms tell me? No good for running off a stock headunit? My other four speakers are 4 ohms, and they all sound good...

:x :x AB :x :x

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
if you have mounted the speakers under the rear shelf instead of ontop like they are from the factory the you need to make sure the shelf isnt fouling the top of the speaker cone, if it does then the cone will not be able to move freely resulting in low bass output

·
Registered
412 Posts
you have an 900S...i thought they didnt come with the factory amplifyer on the passanger side.....or the door speakers....thats what ive herd....if im wrong please correct me...lol

drew

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Shirozina said:
Sounds like you have wired them out of phase - check that the + and - are correct on each speaker.
I don't think they're out of phase. Here's the config. I used:
Lleft side
+ Brown/White
- Brown
Right side
+ Black/Green
- Black/White

boxman said:
if you have mounted the speakers under the rear shelf instead of ontop like they are from the factory the you need to make sure the shelf isnt fouling the top of the speaker cone, if it does then the cone will not be able to move freely resulting in low bass output
No problem there. Have lots of clearance...

Drew'sSaab said:
you have an 900S...i thought they didnt come with the factory amplifyer on the passanger side.....or the door speakers....thats what ive herd....if im wrong please correct me...lol
drew
No amp (that I'm aware of). These are in the factory locations in the rear shelves, running off the headunit power.

And by the way, a correction to an earlier statement - they are 4 ohm speakers.
AB

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I recently replaced mine and they have hardly any bass. I'm guessing it's the factory head unit.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Dang...I'd love to help but I've never actually gotten to experience a factory headunit in a Saab. I always wanted to hear how it sounded with the amp...

Good luck fixing the 6x9s, not sure what's going on there. But if you want bass bass, throw in a little 10 or maybe even an 8 and then you'll be good ;)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
You have 6x9's in a free-air Situation. You're not going to get a lot of bass, no matter WHAT you do.

You'll need some sort of enclosure, or REALLY powerful 6x9's

·
Registered
110 Posts
Lleft side
+ Brown/White
- Brown
Right side
+ Black/Green
- Black/White
This does not help the identification of the phasing - the important thing is the + from Amp to + on the speaker (or at least the same on both channels)

so in your example
+ brown/white - needs to go to the + on the LHS AMP
+ Black/green - needs to go to the + on the RHS AMP

·
Registered
772 Posts
what are the specs of the speaker? Like someone mentioned if they are not effecient it will take more power to get the same sound as before. Every 3db increase in effeciency is equal to doubling the power & the same is true for a drop in effeciency. These speakers mught just be more ineffecient then what you had in there & the factory radio doesn't have the power to push them to a level you want? So a 100w amp powering 93db speakers will theoretically give the same volume levels as a 200w amp pushing 90db speakers or a 50w amp pushing 96db speakers :)

Like someone mentioned double check polarity, that was my 1st thought as well

If they were 2 ohm speakers you would actually be hearing louder speakers. It's just hard to say how long the stock radio could push the lower ohm load.

Finally, many times aftermarket speakers are just more accurate & do not give boomy bass response. I know my viggen's stock speakers give a descent amount of bass however it's of the boomy-annoying variety. If/when I swapp aftermarket stuff in there it will sound like there isn't as much bass due to it not being boomy. Aftermarket speakers are much more accurate then OEM stuff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts