SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, dear. The passenger front (LH, RHD car) footwell is VERY damp indeed. Soaking wet, in fact.

But not where you'd expect, right down at the bulkhead/front. No, it's more directly underneath the glovebox lid and towards the seat.

It's been _pissing_ down for days here, but it was dry in the car yesterday morning - it's really only appeared overnight.

The car's parked on a hill, nose down, with the camber of the road meaning that the passenger side is slightly down. Water does build up slightly in the (factory, steel, electric) sunroof lip, but the drain is clear and feeding water out behind the front wheel quickly.

There was a small amount of water on the inside of the lower screen rubber, but nothing on the underside of the dash.

I'm very puzzled. Thoughts?

I've squeeged the worst out and got the carpet pulled up a bit to let air circulate at the mo - but can't free it around the seat runners. Do I just need to undo the two allen bolts? Aren't they the only things holding the seat in?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had a leak too this week due to the lovely rain we have had in the uk, leaking on the front passenger seat and in the footwell of the back near side seat. Turned out to be the front nearside sunroof drain blocked with gunk :x. Now cleared and solved. Can't think what could be causing your leak if it isn't the sunroof :confused:

Top tip to clean up the water that has got in though, hot foot it down to the local garage and use the industrial hoover to suck up the excess water, then use an old towel and the river dance to do the rest. Then drive around with the heater on full pointing to the floor for a week, windows slightly open so you can breath!

Try parking the car the other way around, this might help deduce the problem.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
The air intake for the cabin has a drain hole that drains out at the UK driver's side wheel arch. Once this fills up, it can work its way through all manner of interesting places inside the car.

Jack the car up, pop it on axle stands (and/or take the wheel off) and clean out the drain pipe. See if it persists.

Failing that, some plastic/rubber foot well mats like these could be a good idea:
http://c900se.wordpress.com/2007/10/13/plasticrubber-floor-mats/

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The outer bolts/studs for the knee bolster are sealed w/ dumdum putty from the factory.As mentioned alot of water passes through that area, if those bolts are not sealed you will find puddles.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
I've squeeged the worst out and got the carpet pulled up a bit to let air circulate at the mo - but can't free it around the seat runners. Do I just need to undo the two allen bolts? Aren't they the only things holding the seat in?
yes. some seats also have 2 allen bolts at the back too. Same size.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Orca said:
The air intake for the cabin has a drain hole that drains out at the UK driver's side wheel arch. Once this fills up, it can work its way through all manner of interesting places inside the car.

Jack the car up, pop it on axle stands (and/or take the wheel off) and clean out the drain pipe. See if it persists.
<comes back in, washes hands>
I think I may owe you a beer...

The heater intake box has about half an inch of leaves, pine needles and similar in the bottom. It was all dry in there, though. I've cleared a scoop or three out, and poured some water in... and it's stayed there. A good rummage and fish hasn't helped much.

Just about time before it gets dark to pull the aircon evap out, I think.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TooMany2cvs said:
Just about time before it gets dark to pull the aircon evap out, I think.
Well, pulling the evap as far out as it'd come without hitting the rocker cover didn't help one bit - but I did drop one of the screws...

The rubber drain tube is one of those ridiculous ones with a bulb at the end with almost like a duck bill. It just pulled off the bottom of the heater box, right under the pollen filter/evap - followed by a load of cold water and leaves and ****e.

It was absolutely stuffed. No water getting through at all.

So - the only questions remaining now...

How do I get the damn tube back ON the heater box? Should be straightforward, I just need a small mirror to see how it's going to fit round the wiring.

and...

Where did the water I poured in there as a test go to? <groans a groan of realisation> Oh, fark. Can I borrow anybody's wellies?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Doh! Yes, you need the engine out ... head off (maybe just cam cover ... can someone confirm?), at least to get the evaporator out.

Doh! Again ... pulling the drain tube off. Sorry - I've not done this one. I will try to look at my non-AC 8V tomorrow which may have less gubbins in the way. I think you'll probably see the answer in daylight, though. Good luck.

I like Guinness, BTW ;)

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Orca said:
Doh! Yes, you need the engine out ... head off (maybe just cam cover ... can someone confirm?), at least to get the evaporator out.
The dealer aircon install instructions don't mention it - just "Lift in"... Doesn't say if that's 8v, though.

Actually, must remember to check up on how I left the hoses...

Doh! Again ... pulling the drain tube off. Sorry - I've not done this one. I will try to look at my non-AC 8V tomorrow which may have less gubbins in the way. I think you'll probably see the answer in daylight, though. Good luck.
Yeh, just a small mirror should sort it. I really ought to get one of those dentist-style ones for the toolbox.

I like Guinness, BTW ;)
<g>

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Check you windscreen seal EVERYWHERE! Peel it back, if you can peel it then it is leaking.

I got me some super runny windscreen glue stuff that you just squirt, the stuff then flows down inside the seal to help it bond better. Worked great, no more leaks.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The leak is likely to be caused by the door seal - or rather it doesn't seal properly anymore.

A leak on LHS (passenger side in UK) is unlikely to be caused by a blocked air vent intake on the RHS.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RickyS said:
The leak is likely to be caused by the door seal - or rather it doesn't seal properly anymore.
There was no sign of moisure on the seal - and that was the more sheltered side. Plus, it hadn't leaked at all previously, despite the weather being worse.

·
Registered
716 Posts
So did unblocking the air vent intake drain stop your leak on the LH side footwell? And how come no water got into the the RH side footwell?

I have a problem with water leak in RH side footwell. Usually it leaks after heavy rain, but not always, sometimes it doesn't. The cause is the door seal.

Occasionally there is a leak of the LH side, but not as often as the RH side. Again its the door seal.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RickyS said:
So did unblocking the air vent intake drain stop your leak on the LH side footwell? And how come no water got into the the RH side footwell?
It's no wetter this morning than it was yesterday, but the weather was merely miserable instead of truly vile. I also parked nose-up the hill last night, so the LHF corner was highest instead of lowest.

I dunno the way the ducting's routed, so don't know how it could have got in - but the amount of water in there would definitely have left traces if it had been the door seal. It was like a bucket had been emptied onto the carpet, yet the dash, seat, sill cover, centre console and door trim were all dry.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Matthew said:
I didn't... That certainly seems to back up the "blocked airbox drain" theory.

Hmmm. Nappies. Neighbours with small sprogs... Including the neighbour whose friend backed into the car... Favour owed... <mental note> NEW ONES ONLY...

To dry out the car, the air con's probably your friend. Put it on re-circ, windows up, heater on max into the footwells and leave the car idling for a few hours. Worth a try.
It would be if my aircon worked... There's no belt (or, currently, crank pulley or tensioner for it) and it's almost certainly not gassed.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TooMany2cvs said:
I didn't... That certainly seems to back up the "blocked airbox drain" theory.
Oh, bottoms. It wasn't the airbox drain. The drain's still clear, but the passenger footwell's soaking again after some 'orrible wet days.

'screen seal next?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Orca said:

Failing that, some plastic/rubber foot well mats like these could be a good idea:
http://c900se.wordpress.com/2007/10/13/plasticrubber-floor-mats/

They're Rensi floor mats and from everything I've read about them, they're excellent products. I don't know if they make them 'universal' to suit LHD and RHD c900's (ie. the drivers one has an extended flap at the top, so that needs to be a different side for LHD and RHD), but otherwise I do plan to get a set. Rensi also makes rear mats that are the same sort of construction. They don't sell direct though a few places on Ebay are selling them now.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
Oh, bottoms. It wasn't the airbox drain. The drain's still clear, but the passenger footwell's soaking again after some 'orrible wet days.

'screen seal next?
Check the front leading door seals and other associated seals/trims in the same area. If they don't mate properly to form a good seal when the doors are closed you'll get a lot of leakage there which trails down the back side of the A-pillar and will disappear into the carpet.

Also check the two external bolt/screw holes for the lower-dash. Ideally they should be sealed up with something like neutral-cure silicone, but I take the lower dashes out of my Saab's too frequently for that and prefer to just use a couple of very wide stainless-steel washers to at least keep the openings physically covered (though not 'sealed' as such).

I guess it is possible to have water leak in around the front windscreen if the body metalwork under the 'H' rubber that locks the glass into the car body has any rust forming under it which would lift up the rubber and allow moisture into the interior. Seems a bit unlikely but it is a common area to get some rust (the two 83's I've just stripped had a lot of rust forming in that area, esp. around the corners of the front (and rear) windscreen openings.

Craig.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but anyway; is there any sign of antifreeze in the water. The heater control valve is mounted infront of the LHS foot well.

Stuff some newspaper in places to trace the leak (especially if it is a dripping leak), or maybe you could shake a bit of dust arround that would get washed off where the leak is. How about a bit of masking tape. Tape a strip of paper along the front of the foot well, and when the water wets it you will know the direction the water is coming from.

Have a look at the rear door seal as well.

Also, tape some paper onto the door sill. The inner seal doesn't seal accross the sill, but the outer one does. The water could be running in along by the edge of the door window and gatering at the bottom of the outer door seal. I think there is a drain on the door, but that could be blocked.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts