SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok..my newley aquired 1999 2.3 needs some help.

Whats the best place to start on these things to get more punch?

ecu? can I mod the boot psi easily? How about the wastegate?

I dont want to spend a fortune, but I want to get a little more out of it.
Thanks All!

Dave

·
Registered
636 Posts
Al, I think the forum agreement of the best thing to start out with first is an ECU or PPC. Yes its expensive (~800-900 dollars). But its anywhere from 40-65 horsepower depending on which route you take. Personally, Im doing the BSR PPC Stage 1 which gives about 64 more horsepower, and about 72 ft lbs more torque. So yeah its a lot of money, but I think hands down its the best place to start. HTH. :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
The way the Trionic 7 (fancy name for the ECU) is designed you can't tinker with things like boost pressure and not throw a CEL. Remapping the ECU is pretty much the only way to effectively go faster.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I agree with the guys totally but please use an experienced saab tuner, we have members here with BSR, Maptun, Hirsch, Abbott, Nordic & Speedpart's upgrades so there is a wealth of experience!

One note though you should make sure the car is in tip top condition as any performance enhancements will show up any vulnerabilities, so make sure the basics are in place, like clean "fully" synthetic oil, new NGK plugs, fresh ATF etc!

You will love the punch of a stage 1 upgrade, its massive power for the money, but there are hidden costs such as........... you will then want better suspension and brakes ;)

As for it being expensive, well $800 for 50 bhp and a tonne of torque isnt bad :cool:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Banned
54 Posts
[QUOTEso make sure the basics are in place, like clean "fully" synthetic oil, new NGK plugs, fresh ATF etc!
[/QUOTE]

hey man! Tell me about what you said above! Do I really need new sparkplugs? Syntec oil? ATF? What is ATF?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Buddy we should all be using fully synthetic oil, and changing it regularly!

New plugs are cheap and the NGK ones are the only ones to use!

ATF is the fluid in the auto gear box (if its an auto)

So I'm talking about good servicing and maintenence ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts