SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the forum and this is my first time posting so I figured I'll give a little bit of background.

Bought my first Saab about 3 months ago, and completely and hopelessly fell in love with her. A couple of weeks ago though, things nosedived when my head gasket blew. Since I manage a local automotive shop, I towed her in, stripped her down, expecting to drive her home that night, only to find that I have at least one piston that's chipped. Which would explain my oil blow by thats causing my pcv valve to leak like a siv...

Apparently this is a fairly common issue with the stock T7. Now I'm left to wonder what to do next?
Should I just swap out the pistons, or do a complete overhaul? I'm planning on doing as big of a build as I can over time, but was originally going to follow the tuning thread's advice and start up top. I have another car as a daily driver so if the engine needs to sit on a hoist for a few months so be it 🤷‍♂️.

If i were to do an overhaul (crankshaft, rods, pistons, etc.) Any recommendations? Should I bore out to a 90.5? Higher compression ratio with custom pistons? Or would I run into problems with the block if I get too fancy? I'm not necessarily wanting to race my Saab, but I do want to try to get as much HP as I can out of this build (WHILE keeping the car's overall integrity in tact long term).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
You need to research the various performance stages. At some point, you have to go to forged pistons in a T7.

It's a turbo engine, so boring it out won't do a lot of good, and increasing the compression just gets you into detonation.

Your first step is to see the state of the cylinder walls. It's probably better to get a good block than to start machine work on a damaged one. As far as I know, even a sludged engine dies due to bearing failure; it's in the extreme case where the cylinder walls get damaged, by a broken piston or ring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts