SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some work done on my Saab and the repair shop mentioned that my turbo is getting a little "loose" and I should think about doing a rebuild kit over the summer.

So my questions are; is this something I can do myself (my brother in law is a mechanic, but only specializes on domestics) and where would I get one?? I know that there are a few different types of turbos and I don't want to get mine apart and then find out I have the wrong kit.

I'm hoping this is something I can do myself and not have to go to the shop for. I've spent quite a bit over the past few months on her. Would it be worth looking at a reconditioned one versus a rebuild kit??

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link, that looks pretty straightforward. Is there anything that walks through getting the turbo off??

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome!! I think I can definately handle this. What are some signs that the turbo is in dire need of being rebuild/replaced?? The last time I was at my shop they said that it was "starting to go and looked loose". I've experienced no power losses or anything else. From what I've read you'll get a ton of smoke while accelerating when they start to go.

I'd like to wait until summer to tackle this and just want to know what to look out for in case I should do it sooner.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now I don't have any smoking. If it starts would it be doing it at startup or acceleration??

Also I found a 9-5 turbo in the classifieds, would that fit my car??

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
When I put a bad one in my car, it smoked all the time. That might have been an extreme case, though.

Which 9-5 turbo did you find? Like the 9-3, they used a couple of different models.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Jeremy R. said:
When I put a bad one in my car, it smoked all the time. That might have been an extreme case, though.

Which 9-5 turbo did you find? Like the 9-3, they used a couple of different models.
+1, mine also smoked all the time when it went.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 9-5 one is a TD04. I'm going to have to get under my car and find out what model i have. Does anyone know the easiest way to get the model of my turbo??

I found a shop online that sells rebuilt ones, that come with a warranty, for $350. I think that's the way I'm going to go when it does go. It sounds like I have some time.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
If you go with a TD04 upgrade you need the propper banjos too. The price of that turbo is too good to be true for a rebuilt unit :eek: Make sure they have a good reputation before you buy.

There's a tutorial for the TD04 upgrade on Eric's site in the upgrades section but it seems that his site is down very ofeten theses days

http://www.ericsaabsite.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts