SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many turbos on ebay, most have very reasonable prices on them. but i dont know if i can trust china or taiwan made knock offs. Mine smokes a tiny bit, i have 2000 aero 9-5. While at it i wouldnt mind a bigger 17 or 19 turbo, for future upgrades, any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
rebuild it

I rebuilt the turbo on my 2001 Aero. 75.00 kit from eBay. Works great.

There are a couple of good videos on youtube as well.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Screw China, and screw eBay. There are lots of very good turbo builders/rebuilders here in the states. I use Dave Kennedy (formerly of SPG9) for my turbos. Not sure how busy he is, but might be worth looking him up over on SAABnet and sending him an email (he goes by the name 900aero over there).

I say search your area. You may be able to find a turbo shop not too far away that you could drop your turbo off at, or ship it to, and have it rebuilt/upgraded.

They are not too hard to rebuild yourself, but in all honesty, for piece of mind, I prefer to have mine done professionally. It's not exactly hard to replace a turbo, but if I can avoid having to do it on a regular basis, I think that's worth paying a few extra bucks for!

also... while I'm ranting on here... the 18t is a very good upgrade for the 9-5. It still spools quickly, but pulls much longer than the stock 15t. If really going for it, and upgrading, you'll want to look for a turbo from a 9000 aero 5spd with the 6cm turbine housing. This will open up the exhaust side and help keep EGT's down. And, while you're in there, I'd recommend swapping to an 06+ compressor housing, or have yours milled back 15mm so you can upgrade to the 06+ "king cobra" intake pipe. It's much larger than the stock pipe and flows much better. These are all what I consider "while you're down there" type of things. A project like this can easily spiral out of control somewhat, but there is no better time than the present to cross all of these things off your list for good and not have to worry about redoing them later!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My kit was made in Japan by Misubishi just like the turbo. I bought from a very reliable source on eBay that I have used before. The rebuild is really quite easy and there is a great deal of information on the web......parts diagrams, rebuild manuals videos.

But as you said if you don't have the tools or the know how I may be better to leave it to a pro.

I honestly got frustrated trying to fine a good guy locally and I was doing a complete blue print rebuild on my Aero, so the turbo did not seem like a big challenge and it was not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a china turbo from ebay...TROUBLE!!!:evil: After about 25 email conversations and getting my credit card company involved to reverse the charges, I had the opportunity replace it twice. Don't chance it.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
My kit was made in Japan by Misubishi just like the turbo. I bought from a very reliable source on eBay that I have used before. The rebuild is really quite easy and there is a great deal of information on the web......parts diagrams, rebuild manuals videos.

But as you said if you don't have the tools or the know how I may be better to leave it to a pro.

I honestly got frustrated trying to fine a good guy locally and I was doing a complete blue print rebuild on my Aero, so the turbo did not seem like a big challenge and it was not.
If you are getting genuine parts, then that is the exception for sure!

Definitely only buy branded, top quality stuff. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Boy you guys go off pretty quick, ADD maybe? No one asked but is it the Garrett or Mitsubishi he currently has? Suggest replace the garrett with a used or rebuilt Mitsubishi and go for performance if he wants ( but a 9000 turbo will not bolt up but you can swap the 6cm housing from one onto the aero models

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the valuable info, i might just build a hybrid myself, i have tools, knowledge and patience, i want something with more airflow, as long as it doesnt take whole day to spool up, only thing that i cant do is balancing it.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Thanks for all the valuable info, i might just build a hybrid myself, i have tools, knowledge and patience, i want something with more airflow, as long as it doesnt take whole day to spool up, only thing that i cant do is balancing it.
18t or 19t will require milling the compressor housing to fit the larger wheel.

If you're just going to go for the 15t-6cm, you can do that on your bench pretty easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts