SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in a no-front-plate state right now. I'd like to pull my front plate off but I have holes to fill if I do. Thought of putting one of these "used to be common" euro sized vanity plates on there, probably with "SAAB" on it.

Anyone know where to get one cheap? I just want a piece of plastic. I don't need a kuel metal Euro stamped plate or a $25 - $35 original SAAB accessory. I'm thinking it should cost $10 at most. I have plenty of other parts to spend Saab funds on. Any pointers?

Sample:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Best bet is to check EB. They can even produce custom ones the match the actual rear plate #. Pretty tempting you must admit. I'm a two plate state, the locals didn't appreciate it. I read up and re-mounted the NJ plate within spec then my euro plate.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As in "Ebay"? I did look into those, but they want too much for them custom made... although the lure of something catchy is appealing :)

EDIT: I did find this... for a full size custom plate of any design you can create. https://www.buildasign.com/producttype/licenseplates/Design-Your-Own-Plate

I was hoping to get away from the full plate, but this has some attraction. All of the Euro vendors are a little pricey and very simple.

I will take a look behind the bracket today and see how much coverage is needed. Maybe some simple painted plugs will cover the "damage" from having the mount on there. Or maybe not... I seem to recall some unfashionable slots Saab molded in. But, I do prefer a clean look when possible with no plate at all.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not much out there for Euro that I can find under $25 (plus frame for $10 more). I'm not up for paying an OEM SAAB seller that much for a plastic original SAAB accessory. I did find this... for a full size custom plate of any design you can create. https://www.buildasign.com/producttype/licenseplates/Design-Your-Own-Plate

I was hoping to get away from the full plate, but this has some attraction. Euro plates are simple number designs, this is more creative.

I will take a look behind the bracket today and see how much coverage is needed. Maybe some simple painted plugs will cover the "damage" from having the mount on there. Or maybe not... I seem to recall some unfashionable slots Saab molded in. But, I do prefer a clean look when possible with no plate at all.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
There are some slots or grooves molded into the bumper behind the license plate. I never understood what those were for. I think my 9-5 has them, too. The bumpers aren't all that attractive with no front plate, since they have those slots and dimples for the license plate screws. A friend of mine was trying to convince me to go plateless in Washington State, but I got pulled over once for not having a proper front plate, and it adds some protection to the front of the car.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and it adds some protection to the front of the car.
Kind of like those old curb feeler springs? You hear it hit first? :)

Yeah... thanks... that's what I thought I recalled, but it's been a long time since I had a plate mount off. I can plug the holes, but the slots sound like a no go on no plate.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Exactly. :) Twice now, I've bumped the front bumper into the wall in the parking garage at work. I don't know how I failed to judge where the front end of the car was, but it happened. Amazingly enough I've never done it in my much larger 9-5 wagon.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Okay Bob, check out this link: I used grey 3M double sided tape to hold mine on without that fancy frame.

Just remember three things:
1) It will look cool
2) It will look cool
3) It will confuse people.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but is it legal to run a "fake" plate even if the front plate isn't required?
I don't know the hard rules per state here, but you won't ever get in trouble for putting anything on the front that can't be confused for a legitimate plate. So a Euro plate is fine, but a ten year old plate from another state is probably not. That assumes you're in a state that doesn't require a front plate.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay Bob, check out this link: I used grey 3M double sided tape to hold mine on without that fancy frame.

Just remember three things:
1) It will look cool
2) It will look cool
3) It will confuse people.
That's a great idea... I have some 3M tape in stock. Might be the more permanent stuff, I 'll have to check.

That site looks interesting. I'll check it out.

All of your points are good. I just have to come up with something that's cool... and not dbahg :)

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Exactly. :) Twice now, I've bumped the front bumper into the wall in the parking garage at work. I don't know how I failed to judge where the front end of the car was, but it happened. Amazingly enough I've never done it in my much larger 9-5 wagon.
Do you get annual new plates? Here in Ontario, we have permanent plates, so I don't want to damage them. The plates I put on my 2004 9-3 back in September were originally installed on my Trans Am back in 1994. I wish they made cars out of the same material as the licence plates--they would last forever.

(This summer, I came across a car bearing one of the first of the permanent plates, AAA 123 [not really 123, but a pretty low number]. Those were issued at the start of 1973.)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
New Jersey requires two plates. I did get pulled over once. Looked up the statute, mounted Euro in the middle and NJ on the driver's side, front of course. Still looked good. I just got the same as what was on my Jersey tags, figured that could be a possible argument in my favor should the cop not care or understand the law! I printed and carried the statute regarding tags in my glove box just in case I was pulled over again.

Truth be told I jumped on it when my light turned green, didn't notice the cop across from me. Since he must not have known my speed he noticed the plate and pulled me over. Lecture ensued. No ticket though. First night I had it on!

EdT - You will not get new tags every year because these would be considered a novelty or accessory. Not Government issue.

EdT - I think I misunderstood your post. Do you get new official plates every year from the powers that be? Do they have the same tag number?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In most US states you can have your plates for a long time. Most make you pay some sort of annual or semi-annual fee(s) under various names. Some states change colors and slowly retire the old colors forcing you to re-register with new ones... which is either a whim or a profit scheme. There are differing rules on transferring to another car you buy that vary by state; some allow it, some don't. I think there are still a few states left where they stay with the car when it's sold.

In MA they force you to change plates when you change ownership of a car. They even applied that to changing my car from two owners on the title to just me. It annoyed me at the time because I had one of the older single plates from the days when only one plate was required. But, the updated colors on the two plate system go better with my latest cars, so that was some consolation.

Bottom line, like a lot of things between states in the USA, plate retention varies a lot in different states. But, there are no plates that are permanently attached to a vehicle as in Europe since they most always change if you take up residence in another state and typically when a car is sold.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I used to ride motorcycles. In Jersey if you don't register the bike one year for whatever reason (sold, totaled, don't feel like riding anymore), if you don't turn in the tags they suspend your drivers' license.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to ride motorcycles. In Jersey if you don't register the bike one year for whatever reason (sold, totaled, don't feel like riding anymore), if you don't turn in the tags they suspend your drivers' license.
Weird. In MA, they used to insist you turn in your physical plates in order to cancel your registration (and to cancel your insurance, part of which is mandatory). Now it can be done on-line and you "destroy" your own plates.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts