SaabCentral Forums banner

Where to buy brake parts?

279 20
I need a new brake master cylinder and a left rear caliper for my 2006 aero 2.8T. having trouble finding these parts, I can find it for the 2.0T but no luck for the v6. Any suggestions on where to find these parts?

Thanks in advance.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok good to know, thanks.

My master is bad. When I did my front pads a month or so ago i also did a fluid change, when I was sucking the old fluid out of the reservoir with a baster there was little pieces of rubber in it which I think is part of the seal in the master. My pedal drops to the floor now, I pressure bled the system then old school method, pumping the pedal. No air in the lines, I activated my abs pump bled again but no luck. The pedal is soft, but it slowly drops to the floor.

Besides the master im not sure what else to try.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if it was master then regardless of whether engine is running or not,the pedal would fall to the floor..Because the fluid would still pass the bad seals..
Yeah idk. Any ideas what else could be going on? Could it be a booster issue? I checked all of the vacuum line being the manifold and all look good no leaks. I've done hundreds of brake jobs on other cars, installed BBKs with new lines and after bleeding they would all be good. This is the first time I've come across this condition and of course with the Saab.

I would appreciate any feedback

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
If the pedal goes all the way to the floor, there is either a leak somewhere, or a bad master cylinder. You would have to press a LOT harder for the same brake pressure with no assist than when it cuts in. But in any case, if the pedal goes to the floor, the above two choices are about it.

Well, there is another possibility. There is a stiff caliper that makes an outsized stroke when high pressure is applied, but won't budge when you are pressing without boost. That seems somewhat unlikely to me.

Anyway, either there's a lot of brake fluid going easily down the brake lines, so pedal goes to the floor, or the fluid is bypassing the seals so the pedal can go down to the floor. I fail to think of an alternative explanation.

·
Registered
2005 9-3 Aero, 5-speed Automatic, B207R
224 Posts
No leaks anywhere.

But when the car is off the pedal is stiff one I start the car is get soft and goes to the floor.
That may be normal- does it sink at higher RPM as well? The below is from WIS:

In a situation with an idling engine and a stationary car, the brake pedal may feel "soft" and sink somewhat lower than normal when applied. This is completely normal and will not affect braking force in a negative manner.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2006 saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the pedal goes all the way to the floor, there is either a leak somewhere, or a bad master cylinder. You would have to press a LOT harder for the same brake pressure with no assist than when it cuts in. But in any case, if the pedal goes to the floor, the above two choices are about it.

Well, there is another possibility. There is a stiff caliper that makes an outsized stroke when high pressure is applied, but won't budge when you are pressing without boost. That seems somewhat unlikely to me.

Anyway, either there's a lot of brake fluid going easily down the brake lines, so pedal goes to the floor, or the fluid is bypassing the seals so the pedal can go down to the floor. I fail to think of an alternative explanation.
No leaks anywhere, fluid level stays the same. When doing all 4 corners brake job all pistons compressed with a normal amount of force and all slide pins free. Using pressure bleeder I ran 1 Liter total through the system equally at each corner to make sure no air was in the lines, then bleeding by pedal pump I cracked each corner 4-5 times just to be sure.

Thanks for the input! Master cylinder is my next move. Don't know what else it could be.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had the same problem you're describing with my '09 9-3 SportCombi Aero XWD. Plagued me for months. After bleeding multiple times with different methods, I thought my problem was the master cylinder and I pulled it and tested it on the bench and it was fine. Even had the dealer connect a vacuum bleeder to the reservoir cylinder, which confirmed there was no air in the line. Problem persisted. I noticed the bladder in my brake reservoir cap was deformed so I ordered a new cap and replaced it and the brake pedal has been firm ever since (1 year ago). Check the cap for cracks. I can't explain it and several folks more knowledgeable than me have said there's no way the cap was the problem but... Order a new cap and try it. May not fix your problem but bc of the heat produced by the turbo, these caps crack easily and it's good to have a spare.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had the same problem you're describing with my '09 9-3 SportCombi Aero XWD. Plagued me for months. After bleeding multiple times with different methods, I thought my problem was the master cylinder and I pulled it and tested it on the bench and it was fine. Even had the dealer connect a vacuum bleeder to the reservoir cylinder, which confirmed there was no air in the line. Problem persisted. I noticed the bladder in my brake reservoir cap was deformed so I ordered a new cap and replaced it and the brake pedal has been firm ever since (1 year ago). Check the cap for cracks. I can't explain it and several folks more knowledgeable than me have said there's no way the cap was the problem but... Order a new cap and try it. May not fix your problem but bc of the heat produced by the turbo, these caps crack easily and it's good to have a spare.
Well I replaced the cap this morning and unfortunately it did not help. I drove it into work and It felt like a caliper was dragging somewhere and sure enough my right rear rotor was glowing red. (I only live 3.miles form my work). So I have to take that apart tonight to see why that is happening, I'm thinking maybe my ebrake cable is sticking. When I replaced pads and rotors a month ago the piston compressed/rotated smoothly and the slide pins were free, also relubed them. Man these f-ing brakes on this car are the only issue. I just bought it used 2 months ago and it sat for a year before I bought it. Outside of replacing coil packs and a few small things I have had no major issues besides the brakes.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
03 vert se-sports pkg, 01 viggen vert
820 Posts
Holy chit!! Shes glowin! Maybe the piston is sticking inside the caliper. Poke a tiny hole in the boot & spray penetrant in there with the straw

Id probly replace the pads& rotor after that.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Holy chit!! Shes glowin! Maybe the piston is sticking inside the caliper. Poke a tiny hole in the boot & spray penetrant in there with the straw

Id probly replace the pads& rotor after that.
I'll see what it looks like when I take it apart Brand new pads and rotor, will most likely replace. I had to do that to the left rear caliper, I peeled the boot back and spray pb blaster in there. Will most likely replace both back caliper.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Wow, I've had dragging brakes heating up a rotor, but nothing that bad! I'd worry about the hub bearing and ABS sensors being baked in that heat. Hopefully it all works fine afterwards.

There is definitely something up with your braking system. :oops: The rear calipers with the integral parking brake are known to seize up. However, that has nothing to do with the pedal going to the floor. Well, after the rotor is red-hot, older fluid may well boil. That would cause the pedal to go to the floor. But if it happens when the system is cold, that's not the answer there either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts