SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
OnStar box

It's on underside of rear shelf. It's the black box between the rear speakers. You can see it from inside the trunk. But don't remove it on you own. I have model year 2003, with only analog set up. Did not upgrage to digital conversion. And never took paid subscription. I was often getting funny messages on my SID because OnStar would act up from time to time. SAAB sent out notice for free removal by dealer. He has to do it because the box has fiber optic lines which communicate to other electronics in system. Dealer took mine out for free and kept the box. First SAAB charges me for box when I buy the car. Then they take my property away from me without compensation. They probably will use it for rebuilding to put in new cars they sell.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Interestingly, Saab is taking mine out today..... I am OOW, I had requested it be done twice under warranty and it was overlooked. The Service Mgr got approval from Saab USA.. They gave me a Loaner and said it wouldn't be done till tomorrow..... it would be simpler and cheaper to use the 7 dollar loopback....

·
Registered
367 Posts
This just made my day, will be ordering that part asap to get rid of that ugly box and make more room for custom enclosure and speakers in the trunk :)
I actually removed it and got all the errors and tons of stuff didnt work. Was not that hard to uninstall if you ask me, but I have alot of electronic experience.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So THATS the black box in the trunk.
Schaweet

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
havent got it in yet, ordered yesterday lol.
shouldnt take more then 2 minutes

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, U.S. GM thing. Basically a System which alerts people if your vehicle has been in accident in case you cant get to your phone and also provides roadside assistance and vehicle recovery from theft.

Nowadays its blossomed to be a much better system, but in earlier years (like an 03 Saab) It sucks balls

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yep, U.S. GM thing. Basically a System which alerts people if your vehicle has been in accident in case you cant get to your phone and also provides roadside assistance and vehicle recovery from theft.

Nowadays its blossomed to be a much better system, but in earlier years (like an 03 Saab) It sucks balls
Ah i get it, like the thing Bruce Willis and that guy from the mac adverts use to start that car in the most recent Die hard?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
It does some rediculous things to for a premium you can get a "Concierge Service" on the phone that will give you directions and make Dinner reservations etc....

and it's quite expensive to use it as a phone.... between my Iphone and Tom Tom I'm a Happy camper.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The full onstar implementations can ba hacked to use the GPS unit with a laptop, for free. I did it in my 2001 Grand Prix. However, I don't believe the Saab onstar has the GPS unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts