SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Heh. I love letting fans of the GTO know that all that American muscle is really an Australian car.

I know from VIN my C900 'vert was made in Finland.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
valerossi said:
Ha! They didn't mention that the Mercedes E-Class are made in India...

Mercedes has many factories around the world that only make cars for that home market. They even have a factory in Iran.

·
12,576 Posts
Really, what does 'where's your car made' really mean, mostly the place of manufacture is little more than an assembly hall, which is little more than 16% of the work done; much of what goes into the final product could have travelled some distance

·
Registered
387 Posts
ragtopcav said:
Really, what does 'where's your car made' really mean, mostly the place of manufacture is little more than an assembly hall, which is little more than 16% of the work done; much of what goes into the final product could have travelled some distance
No... it does make a difference. For example, a Nissan built in Japan and a Nissan built in US/CAN, you can tell there is big difference in finishing quality. It's more than just an assembly hall, I guess the quality control is not the same in every country. Also, you will notice, all those high-end models are usually built in the country of its origine.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Where the car is built is critical to its reliability. Unmotivated workers build lousy products no matter how good the design. All through the 80's and 90's Pontiac's built in Canada used to have far fewer problems than the Michigan built ones. Oddly enough BMWs built in the US are more reliable than the German built ones.

With my luck in the past year, I am rapidly getting to the point where I can say my Saab was built in my garage! But heck, 250k you have to expect a few things to wear out.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Mag-X said:
Heh. I love letting fans of the GTO know that all that American muscle is really an Australian car.

I know from VIN my C900 'vert was made in Finland.
I said that to my friends at the NY Auto show near the GTO, and a few people overheard me and they said that I must be crazy and know nothing.

I decoded my Saabs VIN and it said that it was built in Trollhattan.
The Volvo I had was built in Gothenburg, and my Oldsmobile was built in French Canada. My mother's Mazda 323 was made in Hiroshima, Japan.

The site mentioned a long-wheelbased Caprice made by Holden, is that car somewhat related to or a continuation of the Caprice/Impala SS that production ended in I think '97 and had the V-8 350?

·
12,576 Posts
valerossi said:
For example, a Nissan built in Japan and a Nissan built in US/CAN, you can tell there is big difference in finishing quality. It's more than just an assembly hall, I guess the quality control is not the same in every country.
That is a cultural difference, it stands out most with Japanese vehicles, most workers are quite incapable of achieving the standards of those guys in the East.

So the smart thing to do in the US is buy a Japanese car made in its home country or Europe then?
Regardless of 'finish' or craftsmanship as its called within the industry, the core work has been done long before the assembly hall; hey, if the average 'Joe' in the US can't hang a door back on properly then perhaps those car assembly lines should shut too.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My "assembly hall" was Trollhatten.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SAABotaged900S said:
The site mentioned a long-wheelbased Caprice made by Holden, is that car somewhat related to or a continuation of the Caprice/Impala SS that production ended in I think '97 and had the V-8 350?
No, different baby. Only similarity is name. The Caprice is based on the Holden Commodore/Monaro/GTO platform. Has a 350 V8 though.

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=8000

·
Registered
387 Posts
ragtopcav said:
That is a cultural difference, it stands out most with Japanese vehicles, most workers are quite incapable of achieving the standards of those guys in the East.

So the smart thing to do in the US is buy a Japanese car made in its home country or Europe then?
Regardless of 'finish' or craftsmanship as its called within the industry, the core work has been done long before the assembly hall; hey, if the average 'Joe' in the US can't hang a door back on properly then perhaps those car assembly lines should shut too.
Well, here in Canada, I noticed that not only for Japanese cars, like for VW Golf, if you buy the lower models, it is built in Mexico, and if you but the VR6 model, it is built in Germany, and you can see a difference in craftsmanship too.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "smart" thing to do, regarding price or craftsmanship? No offense intented for the US/CAN assembly, but personally when I buy a Japanese or European car, I always buy the ones that are built from the country of origine. Since you're in the UK, you probably won't notice as much of a differences, cause I always find the craftsmanship of Europe and Japan a bit better. Here, they can't just shut the assembly lines, cause their main concern for those models that are built here is the price.

Also, I think there is a big influence of the market too. Personally, I'm from Hong Kong, and one thing I noticed about imported vehicles in US/CAN, even the ones that are built in Japan/Europe, for the exact same model, the ones you buy in Hong Kong are always a bit nicer and comes with more stuff. Even for lower end models, for example, a Toyota Corolla, you can get leathers, parking assist, and other gadgets, and the auto-folding mirrors are standard, and that's for a low-end vehicle, so imagine the high-end ones. Like the new Acura TL(Honda Legend in Asia), the one you buy in Hong Kong or Japan, it comes with a night-vision monitor sensor computer with a LCD screen inside that you cannot it get here, not even as a option. Same for European cars, my friend's 2001 A4, it comes with a side sensor that beeps when you're too close to another vehicles, this is something we just can't get here. Also, HID/Xenon is available on many cars that is not available here for the same car. I'm sure you have noticed that many members here from North America has asked about the auto-folding side mirrors for their SAABs. There are many options that we just cannot get here.

The reason why I said there is a big influence with the market, I think it's because they can't just bring all the nice stuff here and kill their own US brands. Oh, I forgot to mention another thing, even an American car in Asia/Europe is nicer. I've been in a mid-size Buick in Asia that the interior is nicer than a Cadillac here. It has 3 TVs/LCDs, one in the center console, and 2 in the passenger's headrest, and these are OEM from Buick.

;)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Saba said:
No, different baby. Only similarity is name. The Caprice is based on the Holden Commodore/Monaro/GTO platform. Has a 350 V8 though.

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=8000
Oh yeah, that isn't anywhere near the Caprice we had here. According to the link, the car comes with not one, but two LCD TV screens? That's pretty cool. I think it would be interesting to buy one and bring it back here. I've never seen a Holden in my life.

·
Registered
818 Posts
SAABotaged900S said:
I said that to my friends at the NY Auto show near the GTO, and a few people overheard me and they said that I must be crazy and know nothing.
Arg, that anoys me, damn Americans, we had the shape here YEARS as the monaro before you guys got it :nono;

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Trollhattan line A for my 9k :cool: .... and people dare to say it's not a real Saab !:evil: :cheesy:

I'd like to import a Caprice from Australia too, but I'm not sure I could live with RHD in a daily driver.....

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
valerossi said:
Also, you will notice, all those high-end models are usually built in the country of its origine.
I believe that this has more to do with the high-end models being lower volume as much as a quality issue. It doesn't make sense for every manufacturing site to spend a small percentage of the manufacturing time to make higher end models so they concentrate those in one or two locations to make the process for every site more repeatable. More repeatable means lower cost and higher quality, generally.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Interesting you guys are tossing around the word craftsmanship when a factory made car couldnt be further from the meaning in any sense.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts