SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heater is running cold - where is the thermostat?

in a 92, Saab (I just bought it). What a dumb question, anyway I replced it but it never fixed the heater not working. Now I discover the heater hoses feel all crunchy, I expect they are blocked. It does have rust inhibitor in it, BUT, this one was imported from Singapore so who knows how it was serviced. It is a 1992, with 90000 kilometers on it. Any suggestions apart from replacing the heater hoses and trying to flush the heater core.

Also, how hard is it to pull the front hub etc, one of the drive boots looks like it is cracked, oil everywhere on one side of the car.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please note I changed my heading

As the main problem was a cold heater!

·
4,637 Posts
Two possibilities for the heater. Clogged hoses as you say. In this case, you'll have to remove the heater core from the car to flush it 'cos the valve won't let any decent pressure through to the core. Inspect the hoses first though. If it comes to this, you might be as well replacing the heater core 'cos a flush won't clear it out.

Second possibility is the heater bypass valve (if fitted). This is a T shaped plastic valve above the alternator which can leak across from hot to cold. It will flow coolant much faster than the heater valve and result in a cold heater.

As for the CV boot, a search on "CV boot" including the quotes for a whole raft of threads on the subject. You need a circlip pliers to open a clip within the CV joint while you tap it off the shaft. This is hard enough to spot 'cos it's covered with grease but you'll find it by probing down the side of the shaft into the CV joint...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts