SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Tommy here, I'm new to the site but I know you guys have helped me a lot in the past reading the forums. I have a 2006 saab 93 with a 120000 miles on it I've replaced compressor all kinds of different things and I took it in to electrical auto to have them diagnose the ECM and also find out why my compressor is not engaging. They are telling me that it is my evaporator temperature sensor where is this item I found one that looks similar inside the vent on the passenger side wheel well just left of the heater core. It actually resides in the footwell vent. The evaporator temperature sensor, if that is it has violet/grn and burn wire. Help, have I identified the correct sensor?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Part #31. Looks like only one is used.

You can also download WIS and EPC which would give the same parts diagrams (EPC) and descriptions of operation and service procedures (WIS). See the Tech II forum for "WIS and EPC for Windows 10".
Thank you so much that does confirm that it's not number 31 except on my car it's on the right side which is the passenger side I think that's an exploded view for a right hand drive car? Am I correct?

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
The esaab part diagram should be for regular LHD cars, as the company is based in the USA. That's also the diagram you get in EPC (Electronic Parts Catalogue).

I'm not sure I understand the rest of the question.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The esaab part diagram should be for regular LHD cars, as the company is based in the USA. That's also the diagram you get in EPC (Electronic Parts Catalogue).

I'm not sure I understand the rest of the question.
I guess that was the question is the diagram left hand drive or right hand drive. In my car which is left hand drive the sensor is on the passenger side in the same location as shown on the diagram except instead of on the driver side it's on the passenger side. I checked to see if there was another one on the driver side where it's shown in the diagram and there isn't there is a little notch there to show that they could use the ventilation plenum for both depending on whether the car iseft or rhd

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 2006 Saab 9-3 convertible, 125k miles on it. I've been working over a month on this and here is what I've done so far. The issue is my compressor clutch will not engage for more than 5 seconds. Something seems to be telling it to shut off.

1. I replaced the compressor.
2. I replace the alternator.
3. I replace the fan blower. (All four wires to the resistor have been checked for continuity).
4. I've replaced the resistor on the fan motor.
5. replaced the control head on the dash.
6. I replace the pressure switch.
7. All circuitry has been checked for a short.
8. The ECU appears to be sending the ground message to the relay to engage the compressor clutch, and then shuts off after 5 to 10 seconds.
9. refrigerants has been charged.
10. All relays and fuses have been replaced and ports check for power.
11. Lefty's Auto electric has investigated it and said that after two times it being there, that the ECU is sending the proper ground message to the relay, so, they diagnosed it is the EVAP temperature sensor.

Consequently I talked to Matt at esaab about getting a new sensor part number 93171824 he said that it's going to take a month to get it from Sweden since there are none available in the US. Although he says he doesn't believe that's the case since he's never sold one before. He then proceeded to tell me to join your group, and to get a hold of Anthony because he is the guru or one of the many on this site. Can somebody please help me. This is Newport Tommy, and my phone number is 714-313-0434. I'm in Arizona and have been stuck here for over a month because I can't bring my family in this heat back to California.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there any way someone can show me where the evap operator temperature sensor is on my 2006 saab 93. A picture would be helpful I know where the air vent mixture sensors are and all the other ones but I can't find the Evap sensor

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Without a Tech II, you are guessing.

WIS states only three reasons for A/C cut out, none of them to do with the temp of the evaporator:

A Tech II will read what the system is seeing, and if there are any error codes.

The most likely guess is that the pressure seen by the sensors is out of bounds. I assume the problem happens when you first start the engine, so it isn't the engine temp.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Also, you can download WIS and EPC from the Tech II forum, WIS and EPC for Windows 10 thread. I don't think there is such a thing as an evap temp sensor on the car, or if there is, what it does. (On 9-5 models, Saab substituted a resistor for the sensor back in 2003.) There are certainly blend air temp sensors, but those won't shut down the A/C compressor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, you can download WIS and EPC from the Tech II forum, WIS and EPC for Windows 10 thread. I don't think there is such a thing as an evap temp sensor on the car, or if there is, what it does. (On 9-5 models, Saab substituted a resistor for the sensor back in 2003.) There are certainly blend air temp sensors, but those won't shut down the A/C compressor.
Well I do have a Tech to and it's been read by 3 different Tech tuzhan they all seem to read evaporator temperature sensor and ambient sensor

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I do have a Tech to and it's been read by 3 different Tech tuzhan they all seem to read evaporator temperature sensor and ambient sensor
To your knowledge which sensor makes the car readd 40゚, ive changed ambient at the grill first thing. Perhaps rhaps you can tell me whatt. Value or reading I should have at the ambient sensor feed wires? Can I use multimeter or test light?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tech 2. 134r pressure 49. Also has new pressure switch. Sid displays proper outside temp. The h 2 shows 40

·
Registered
471 Posts
The WIS might have an OHM measurement for that sensor, I’ll check when I get home.
Have you download the WIS yet?

·
Registered
471 Posts
i checked the WIS, there is only one mention of a evaporator temperature sensor. Nothing on the schematics showing it.
Found one picture of the front of the heater box, this one has two sensors. This is all i got.
Might need someone with a tech2 to check that sensor on a working car.
Good luck

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts