SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody flushed their coolant yet? I don't want to get into the discussion about GM long life coolant. In my opinion DexCool is not as good as Toyota Red, so flushing every 30k is not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I don't know one way or the other as to the 9-3SS, but, for what its worth, many modern cars do not have a radiator drain plug. You drain the coolant by loosening a hose or by suctioning out the coolant.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Don't they make a flush kit that will work for this? Maybe comes with two "T" connectors. Get a couple of garden hoses and flush away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Despite the caveat above on the "GM coolant," I'm gonna add my $0.02.:D

I have an '03 Linear (MT) that I plan on keeping a loooong time -- my '76 99 went 10 flawless years until one of my kids killed it! Right now I have around 20K on my 9-3 and plan on flushing the coolant every 30K.

Here's why: My youngest son bought a low-mileage Chevy S-10 4 X 4 about two years ago...after getting a loan from the "First National Bank of Dad." He mentioned one day that it was running "hot." The coolant level in the resevoir looked OK, so I suggested we pop off the radiator cap and see what we could see. Well...the coolant looked like silver-colored pudding! We took it to a local shop and they flushed the radiator 2X and refilled the coolant(= dad paid about $150). A few weeks later, the truck over-heated and the same "pudding" was found in the radiator. This time the shop replaced the radiator and found that the intake manifold (aluminum) was badly corroded and replaced that too (= dad paid $800). About six-month's later, the truck began to over-heat again. Yep, you've guessed it...the silver "pudding" was served again!

So...wadda you do? Because my kid was so "upside-down" on this vehicle, I decided to loan (er...that would be give!) hime the $$ to put in a new motor. Once again, dad paid approx. $6K!!!!! My kid is going to have to drive that truck until he's my age!!!! I wonder if it'll last him 30 years?

Anyway...see why I'm going to be replacing that *&^%@ GM Long-life coolant? And....NO...I'm NOT looking to ADOPT!!!!!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
76Saab99,
I totally agree. I think Dexcool is crap. I have yet to confirm if Saab uses Dexcool or not. Dexcool is OK on heat protection, but horrible on lubrication. Plus it cristalizes quickly. I guess the easiest way to replace it is to disconnect one of the hoses...

·
Registered
638 Posts
No guarantees that it is dexcool.

I went to the dealer to see what their coolant looked like, and it is long life coolant in a SAAB 4L jug. Has multilingual text on the back, and I believe it is a european product.

If it was dex, it liklely would have come in gallon jugs that look like those in the shelf of your favorite store.

Dexcool only goes bad in engines that werent originally designed for it. GM truck engines come to mind. Any of the newer engine designs do not have problems with dex cool sludging up or anything like that.

As for the chevy truck problems: (1) if green coolant was ever installed in there, youll get sludge (2) if air gets in there, youll get sludge (3) if anything else was ever installed in there, youll gewt sludge, (4) there is a TSB that explains that on the diagonal nneck radiators like GM trucks have, the OEM plastic caps do not always seal properly. They reccomend using a Stant brand cap which will seal better, in order to prevent sludge.

JMH

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JHZR2 said:
No guarantees that it is dexcool.

I went to the dealer to see what their coolant looked like, and it is long life coolant in a SAAB 4L jug. Has multilingual text on the back, and I believe it is a european product.

If it was dex, it liklely would have come in gallon jugs that look like those in the shelf of your favorite store.
JMH
Maybe it is similar to Audi/VW fill.
The manual states to replace it at 90 or 100k (dont remember for sure) - it is in the beginning of the maintenance schedule booklet...

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
JHZR2 said:
The saab manual?!? I could have sworn that it claimed that it was a "lifetime" fill.

JMH
My 2005 manual says it's a lifetime fill. I was going to trust it but I may change my mind in 3-5 years.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave 37 said:
My 2005 manual says it's a lifetime fill. I was going to trust it but I may change my mind in 3-5 years.
I am going to check this evening....I think I will change mine in 4 years together with brake fluid.

·
Registered
638 Posts
brake fluid should be done every 2 years, max... My BMW reccomends yearly.

I am considering just sucking all the fluid from the reservoir on the firewall every so often, replacing with new fluids to keep additive content up high, and keeping things fresh.

JMH

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JHZR2 said:
brake fluid should be done every 2 years, max... My BMW reccomends yearly.

I am considering just sucking all the fluid from the reservoir on the firewall every so often, replacing with new fluids to keep additive content up high, and keeping things fresh.

JMH
Saab states every 4 years for fluid. I just sold a 1997 Nissan Altima with 205,000 miles on it. It had original brake fluid, and original front rotors! Although it did not have ABS, those brakes were the best I've have ever drivven....

·
Registered
638 Posts
there is a wide variety of reccomendations for fluid. some companies give no guideline, and many cars work fine with it never changed, and only barely exchanged during pad replacement.

For such a fundamental safety feature, take the safe road. 4 years is likely fine, but Ill take 2 years with DOT 4, ATE racing blue fluid.

I like doing it, whe I swap snow tires to regular ones...

JMH

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thomjam said:
did you coast to a stop or just never stop?

Jaime
No, the car was used for a heavy commute to Chicago. Nissan makes good brakes on some cars.... I kept replacing pads and measuring the rotor and it was always in spec, did not need cutting or anything...I was amazed...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thomjam said:
so what do you think Saab defines as "lifetime"??

Jaime
My 2003 Manual states that Coolant should be replaced at 100,000 or SOONER. Sounds like a 60k item to me in addition to the plugs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts