SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove it to clean it. Is it the sensor on the intake across the front pipe, or is it the sensor on the pipe that runs from the intercooler up to the intake manifold? They both look very MAFFY:roll:.

That and I eventually would like to fab up a intake pipe out of aluminum tubing for the filter to the turbo. What are the other pitots coming off of the intake? I think one goes to the SAI (big accordian) but the other hard nylon tube goes where?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok... hmmm which or both do i clean? I gotta take apart and clean the TB as well, so i figured I would cover all the bases.

Maybe ill just do a seafoam.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The MAF sensor is the cylindrical tube with an electical connector sticking out from on top that sits right in front of the engine between the air filter box. The other sensor is a MAP sensor (essentially the boost pressure sensor) which doubles as an intake temperature sensor. To remove the maf, undo the two clamps on either side, remove the air filter box for room and just take it out

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I actually just swapped out the MAF sensor, its right above the horns in the intake tubing. It uses security screws to take out the whole sensor or you can just take out the whole middle tube.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Do you recall the size of the security torx? Last time i attempted to clean the MAF i found out that i didn't have that bit size.

You won't be able to spray down the pipe to properly clean it.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Do you recall the size of the security torx? Last time i attempted to clean the MAF i found out that i didn't have that bit size.

You won't be able to spray down the pipe to properly clean it.
No Clue I actually took out the whole tube to replace it. I know it was between 2 sizes but I couldn't find the size.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it is the one past the intercooler on the pipe that attaches to the throttlebody, man im really confused.. OR, is it the one in the center, just behind the radiator upper support on the intake tube on the way to the turbo?

·
Registered
529 Posts
the one in the center, just behind the radiator upper support on the intake tube on the way to the turbo?
Its the second one you mentioned. If you plan on cleaning it make sure you have the proper security bit size. You will not be able to properly clean it just by spraying down the pipe. If you figure out the size of the bit please let me know.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so it is on the vaccuum pipe heading to the turbo.. the normal place for one...

whats the one on the pressure side then?

·
Registered
338 Posts
anyone give me a picture as mine needs doing but i have no idea what i,m looking for ;oops:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
anyone give me a picture as mine needs doing but i have no idea what i,m looking for ;oops:
Start at the air filter box

Follow the tube towards you

in the center of the front is a wire connection... on the intake tube... this is the MAF

·
Registered
338 Posts
Start at the air filter box

Follow the tube towards you

in the center of the front is a wire connection... on the intake tube... this is the MAF

yep, got that, now how do i clean it

sorry i,ve never done this and dont want to break anything

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
One you have the security bit to remove the sensor, take it out carefully

Raise it up in the air, take the MAF cleaner can, spray a few times on the sensor let it sit for a few seconds and then install back in.

If your hung up look at the can of MAF Cleaner for directions on the back

1 - 14 of 14 Posts