SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, car i have is 97 saab 900 2l turbo w/many upgrades...
last upgrade done was td04 turbocharger was installed.... but since then, my coolant leve keeps on telling me its low....i have put in coolant but the next day the warning keeps on coming back...
where is it cuz im not getting any "noticably" white smoke...although it is a little white but im guessing its the weather as all the other cars have the same amount of smoke coming out.

mechanic said it was not in the oil but keep on checking it...and i am...and its still "warning" me...

where is it? and does it cost a lot??

thanks guys

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
If it's not on the ground and it's not in the oil, it's getting burned in the engine. Pull the plugs and look for the clean one, If one is much cleaner than the other, that's the cylinder that's leaking.

Someone posted a tip about pressurizing each cylinder from a compressor and watching to see if the level rises in the coolant tank. That can also determine which cylinder is leaking. Someone else posted that a small leak from the head onto the block will vaporize so you won't notice the leak, but I think you'd smell it.

The first thing I would do is get a new set of headbolts and retorque them... Ron

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
I learned the hard way never to install a used turbo without rebuilding it first. If your turbo is worn, then it could be burning coolant, but it could also be leaking around the banjo bolts. When I installed mine, my car lost a lot of coolant and oil before I figured out what combination of tools let me get the banjo bolts tight enough to stop all of the leaks.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Yeah, I guess if one of the banjo bolts was leaking, especially on a hot turbo, you wouldn't see much raw antifreeze dripping, just a little steam that gets blown away by the fan... Ron

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I learned the hard way never to install a used turbo without rebuilding it first. If your turbo is worn, then it could be burning coolant, but it could also be leaking around the banjo bolts. When I installed mine, my car lost a lot of coolant and oil before I figured out what combination of tools let me get the banjo bolts tight enough to stop all of the leaks.
I've got the same thing going on right now:confused:. Funny thing is it didn't start right after I put the turbo on, but rather a couple weeks later.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I've got the same thing going on right now:confused:. Funny thing is it didn't start right after I put the turbo on, but rather a couple weeks later.
The outside surface of the turbo gets extremely hot and expands/contracts constantly. After I swapped my turbo I found that I had to retorque all of the banjo bolts and exhaust bolts after 100 miles or so.

As an aside, I just added Headers to my truck. The directions said that I would have to retorque 1-2 times over the next 100 miles. They sounded great for 2 weeks then started "ticking" on the passenger side. I checked all of the nuts and they were all pretty loose. I retorqued and am good to go.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yupp, so i check the car out this morning...and there was the green throw up..... all over.

It is still sitting there until i get it to the shop 2rrw.... they said they were going to do a pressure test to see where its coming out from.

any idea on where i can take a look b4 they tell me where the leak is coming from?? i guess under the car would be the best starting point.

Anyone want to guess what it is??

a) Hose
b) Bolts
c) other??

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
yupp, so i check the car out this morning...and there was the green throw up..... all over.

It is still sitting there until i get it to the shop 2rrw.... they said they were going to do a pressure test to see where its coming out from.

any idea on where i can take a look b4 they tell me where the leak is coming from?? i guess under the car would be the best starting point.

Anyone want to guess what it is??

a) Hose
b) Bolts
c) other??
Read the posts above. You have been given areas to check...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a similar problem, although it took a few days or so before I lost enough coolant to get a 'low coolant' warning. I'd have a VERY small patch of coolant under the car at night -- just a few drops, that's all. My problem turned out to be a failing water pump. Coolant leaked from the pump only when the engine was running, of course, and was deposited all along the roads I drove. Replace the pump and connecting hoses, and all was well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts