SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I write this because I read an article in the Buick GS Club of America newsletter. Basically how active members drop of the face of the earth never to be heard from again.

My dad passed almost two years ago, active member since 1978. After reading that article I typed an email up, the start was my words stating my father had passed, and the rest were his words describing what he had done to the car over the years. A 1970 GS 455 Stage 1 in triple black. One of three in that combination in 1970.

I often wonder about some of our members. Did they just get out of Saabs altogether, did they pass. I have seen a few goodbyes here and there. But I do look at some of the profiles with anywhere from 1000 to 10,000 posts even more that. I know at one point they were active, but no more. I remember conversing with them.

Any comments? What say you? Kind of of wish I knew what happened.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wonder too some times. Facebook has become the go to for many. I frequent SAAB FB groups more than SC now. But SC has an energy I like, and I feel it’s easier to search for information. FB is good for getting a quick look at the SAAB world on a daily basis, but can sometimes be a bit juvenile. SC is great for a long DIY repair write up with pictures and tends to have more polite conversations.

Not sure that answers your question, but I’m still her albeit somewhat less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
They are not really "collectible cars" per say, and so I think some people just consider them transportation. Even "enthusiasts" who once had interest, sold them on (as they got old) and are now "enthusiasts" on another brand (possibly). Also, traffic is changing, I hear there is alot of activity on facebook, but I don't have that.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, I don't do FB either. Closed my account a few years ago. In reality I have 3 good friends, in cyber space (FB) I had almost 200 "friends" that I didn't hear a peep from when my father passed.

If I don't have to sign up for FB I may check out some Saab groups.

·
Registered
221 Posts
As time goes on, more and more Saabs end up in junk yards, wrecked, parted out, etc. Eventually there will be just a few around. The sad fact is that Saab is a dead brand and not coming back.

That is why the population of Saab "enthusiasists" will continue to dwindle.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A problem with car clubs everywhere I bet. No new blood. I'm not seeing much interest in cars from the younger people I know. It's just a necessary appliance to most of them, they don't even change their own oil.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Most Saabists I know are mostly on FB. None of the BBs have as much traffic. At any gathering of Saabists I see more 2nd gen 9-3s than anything else. The older models, especially NG900s and 9000s are getting rarer. Vintage Saabists are a different breed than the others.

As with any older defunct makes, fewer but very dedicated enthusiasts remain active. Distilling to the essence...;)

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
It's a complicated question. You are asking about the demographics of both Saab owners and those who use the internet.

It seems to me that the vast majority of those who purchased Saabs as new cars have moved on to other brands. I would think that at least some of them would participate in clubs and online fora, though I would suspect not more than 50% at a guess. Those people are now gone from online because they have moved on.

Another group are the Saab owners who buy Saabs (plural deliberate!) because depreciation makes Saabs a bargain, assuming you know what you're doing and are not afraid of repair expenses and/or doing a lot of work yourself. I think there are quite a few long-time, serial Saab owners who still drive Saabs, and quite a few of them participate here and elsewhere. They're the core.

Then there are the people who buy a Saab because it's a performance! turbo! euro! car. Typically younger people, who may be indifferent whether it's an Audi or a Subaru or a Saab. They do their mods, then when the car breaks, or they get bored, they move on. I think there are a lot of these people online, who appear, participate for months or a few years, and then vanish. Being younger, they're probably on platforms other than here....Facebook, Instagram, whatever the yoots use these days.

·
Registered
736 Posts
In the modeling communities I know, forums are being deserted, most people are going to Facebook.
Forums are seen as a reference source, when somebody on Facebook asks "How do I do this...", he's sent to a forum topic via link.
Some diehards still put new stuff, but there's a definitive slowdown.
Now a car forum is not exactly the same as a modeling forum! But the trend is the same. Facebook has been a forum killer. To ALL forums. :evil:

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
The question is if the diehard Saab owners are sticking with the older forums. Are the grouches who swear that the '91 9000 was the end of 'real' Saabs going to switch to Facebook? (BTW I'm not on FB. :cheesy:)

I agree that the more transient users, who might own a Saab for a few months or a year or two, are likely to go immediately to FB, and only come here when FB and youtube can't answer their questions. (Personally, I find the vast majority of YT videos to be too long and chatty for the info they convey. Grouch, grouch, grouch. :cool:)

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
(Personally, I find the vast majority of YT videos to be too long and chatty for the info they convey. Grouch, grouch, grouch. :cool:)

Here here. Typical youtube video:
Hey guys, I just thought I share a video with you on how to change the little green roller on the window of a 9-5. Before I get into that let me tell you he story of how I got the car, and what I had for lunch today. I might share with you some fasion tips, and why I don't have a real job. Words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The question is if the diehard Saab owners are sticking with the older forums. Are the grouches who swear that the '91 9000 was the end of 'real' Saabs going to switch to Facebook? (BTW I'm not on FB. :cheesy:)

I agree that the more transient users, who might own a Saab for a few months or a year or two, are likely to go immediately to FB, and only come here when FB and youtube can't answer their questions. (Personally, I find the vast majority of YT videos to be too long and chatty for the info they convey. Grouch, grouch, grouch. :cool:)

I am not on facebook, but I have been accused of being a curmudgeon.

·
Super Moderator
18,884 Posts
I have never had a FB account. Don't care to. I'll be here moving **** around until the car dies I guess. It has no real world value.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Forums have something that Facebook does not - continuity.

I post a bit about my car in my local (national) enthusiast group on Facebook, but for the whole story of my car it's forums like this one that can tell it.

For help and guides they are also much much superior - though usually not quite as good as the Platonoff's and Fix My Saab's of this world, or indeed the WIS..

But forums are old school and there are things they're not so good at. I'd like to build a new platform that does what forums do in terms of keeping everything in one place, with the community/group and ease-of-use aspects of Facebook, the story-telling side of DriveTribe, events etc.

As to where people have gone, well I'm sure it's the cycle of life – even if you're into Saab's you might've had kids, got sick, found a new obsession, etc. So many things pull people away from old habits. Death the last of them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts