SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son called about his (new to us) USA 2001 Saab 9-5, 4 cylinder wagon. It leaked coolant under it, and underhood on the high part by the hood latches. He found a small hose disconnected. One end is attached somewhere near the left headlight / directional. The other end is disconnected. Where should it go? (See attached photo.) Thank you in advance for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would like to know the answer to this as well. I also have a 2001 with the same disconnected hose. I don't believe this is the source of your coolant leak however as I don't have anything leaking out of it at all.

·
Super Moderator
2,963 Posts
There are no coolant hoses that narrow of diameter. That looks like either a vacuum hose or headlight squirter hose. Follow the hose...

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Are you sure it isn't the drain hose for the headlamp ?
Each lamp has one that should drop down behind the bumper. It is open ended (obviously) and about 4-5" long

·
Registered
369 Posts
There's no coolant hose in that area of the car, there's the top hose from the rad (very visible) and the hoses to the base of the expansion tank.

The coolant leak at the firewall area is almost certainly the coolant bypass valve (search here). Its a plastic part with three hoses going into it fixed to the firewall at centre of the car. A leak may be visible or may only occur under pressure. Its a cheap part and an easy fix, just a bit fiddly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's a vent hose for the battery. You have a different style battery that doesn't require its use. But that's what it is.

·
Registered
867 Posts
That's a vent hose for the battery. You have a different style battery that doesn't require its use. But that's what it is.
Agreed, Goes to the battery drain plug if battery has one.
The smallest coolant hose is the size that you see on the bottle.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Searching for coolant leak...

Thank you for all the replies! We will continue looking for the coolant leak source. What is unusual is that leaked coolant was on the top of the body / radiator cross-member at the front of the car. So maybe we should be looking for a pin-hole that sprayed coolant higher?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
the leak could be the radiator. platic end caps on an alumnium core.....the plastic ages and gets brittle. new radiator is about 60.00 for the standard trans version.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
sorry typo.....$160.00 from eEuroparts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Odd coolant leak, no overheating

I think we may have this issue. When the 9-5 Aero (2004) is parked after running for a while a large leak appears under the car, drivers side, more or less under the coolant expansion tank/reservoir. No overheating at all when driving. Sounds like bypass valve, how do I find /replace this?

Thx
There's no coolant hose in that area of the car, there's the top hose from the rad (very visible) and the hoses to the base of the expansion tank.

The coolant leak at the firewall area is almost certainly the coolant bypass valve (search here). Its a plastic part with three hoses going into it fixed to the firewall at centre of the car. A leak may be visible or may only occur under pressure. Its a cheap part and an easy fix, just a bit fiddly.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think we may have this issue. When the 9-5 Aero (2004) is parked after running for a while a large leak appears under the car, drivers side, more or less under the coolant expansion tank/reservoir. No overheating at all when driving. Sounds like bypass valve, how do I find /replace this?

Thx
"Large Leak" - Define. You need to add a gallon of coolant right now, or you have to top it off every two weeks?

Any sign of coolant overflow from the rad cap? (coolant or left over white streaks from coolant on top of the overflow tank) If you pop your hood after a long drive is the coolant above the "Max" level in the overflow?

Reason I asked is that I had a bad thermo, and while it didn't overheat, I was losing coolant through the rad cap. Just something to check as a bad thermo is not something to ignore. (like my freakin' indy mechanic did.)

Once you stop the car, the coolant stops circulating, and the pressure will go up.

On your car the coolant bypass valve is up against the firewall under the brake master cylinder.

Your cooling system, explained: http://saabworld.net/f144/cooling-system-saab-9-5-a-1653/

The CBV is fairly far from your overflow tank, so I'm inclined to start checking the overflow tank and associated hoses for leaks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
"Large Leak" - Define. You need to add a gallon of coolant right now, or you have to top it off every two weeks?

Any sign of coolant overflow from the rad cap? (coolant or left over white streaks from coolant on top of the overflow tank) If you pop your hood after a long drive is the coolant above the "Max" level in the overflow?

>>>>
Yes, the overflow tank nearly drains, yet no signs of fluid up there or residue, or on the hoses which look fine. I have tried to watch this, but of course it happens when I am not looking. Replacing the coolant bypass valve as a precaution. Perhaps I should replace the rad cap as well. From other posts, the CBV seems the likely cause. No warnings on the SID, no signs of overheating (yet).

·
Registered
867 Posts

Thx
anyone of the parts suppliers or ebay.

Solenoid valve, heat exchanger
To remove
The water shut-off valve is located in front of the bulkhead, under the charge air by-pass/turbo system solenoid valve.
1 Place a container under the car.
2 Pinch off the coolant hoses with a pair of pliers (part no 30 05 758).
3 Disconnect the vacuum hoses from the valve.
NOTE
Check that the vacuum hoses are free from cracks and leaks.

To fit
1 Lubricate the hose connections on the water shut-off valve with soap and water.
2 Fit the coolant hoses and hose clamps.
3 Fit the vacuum hose to the valve.
4 Open the expansion tank and fill with coolant to the max level mark.
5 Test for leaks.

·
Registered
215 Posts

>>>>
Yes, the overflow tank nearly drains, yet no signs of fluid up there or residue, or on the hoses which look fine. I have tried to watch this, but of course it happens when I am not looking. Replacing the coolant bypass valve as a precaution. Perhaps I should replace the rad cap as well. From other posts, the CBV seems the likely cause. No warnings on the SID, no signs of overheating (yet).
Sounds like a good place to start then. If the overflow is nearly drained, then it sounds like the CBV.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts