SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Saab World, I am helping my uncle get his 1987 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible running again after it has sat in my father’s garage for many years and of course, the fuel pumps and the separate fuel sender/gauge are not working. After a couple days of searching the internet, rock auto, europarts, autohauz, eBay, and calling a few places for new parts I could only find the main pump and feeder pump on rock auto.com and I could only find a USED fuel sender/gauge. I would prefer a whole new drop in fuel assembly, or at least a new reservoir, plus a new fuel gauge/sender. Does anybody happen to know where I can find these parts? Do they make a “universal” updated version? I will post pics if they style I have. I do not have part numbers. Thanks
Photograph White Light Product Font
Product Font Camera lens Cameras & optics Material property

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here's some free advice (worth every penny) Based on my extensive experience as a professional Saab mechanic: Most of those parts are not available new and you already have used parts. Do like most of us are doing and fix the parts you have. As you've found the pumps can be sourced but you'll need to install them into the pump module. The sending unit can be opened up and repaired. It's also critically important to consider that often the problem is in the wiring, connectors, combined instrument cluster or elsewhere. You can not just buy new parts and throw them in hoping that it will fix the problem when working on old Saabs like people do with newer cars and the used parts you can buy may not be any more servicable than the ones you already have. Saabs were built with high quality parts and often when there is a system failure it's the result of thirty years of corrosion on a connector or some other easily (and cheaply) corrected consequence of age and exposure. Parts don't usually go bad when just sitting, even inside the fuel tank. Careful diagnosis and a willingness to fix rather than just replace will save you time and money and get your C900 back on the road.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The fuel pumps want 12 volts (almost everything in the car works on 12 volts). If your fuel pump isn't working there is a list of possible causes for that that are each more likely than a bad pump. You can download the fuel system electrical diagram and do some simple tests to find the fault.

There is no "gauge rebuild kit" for these cars, you just have to be inventive/creative/resourceful. I'd bet money that someone has posted a tutorial on fixing a C900 fuel sending unit on here or elsewhere? Try a search for that.

It's admirable that you want to help get your uncle's Saab back on the road but my impression is that you don't have a lot of experience working on cars?. Sincerely good luck with this project and you'll find plenty of assistance on Saab forums like this. You should definitely invest in a Bentley service manual or familiarize yourself with using the Saab factory service manuals that are posted here and on other Saab discussion web sites. A careful, complete diagnostic approach is a much faster, easier and cheaper way to solve problems and a good service manual is your guide.

I've resurrected dozens of Saab C900's that had sat for many years and my advice for you is to concentrate on just making it run first and foremost (leave the fuel level sending unit for later). Next make it drive (safely) and lastly start fixing up the details (like the fuel level sending unit).

Once the car starts and runs you should tell us which transmission it has (manual or automatic) and how many miles are on it. The B202 engine is bulletproof but the transmissions require special care and attention. Symptoms of a worn out transmission can be subtle and repair can sometimes cost more than the car is worth. Be sure the transmission is full of the correct fluid before you go much farther too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts