SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive gone about 6k on my oil.. oil life says it is 27% but next service in 720 days... doesn't really add up to me. When do you guys change your oil?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Make sure they reset it after you get it changed...what year do you have? Warranty? Lot of threads on this topic if you search. But if are running synthetic oil I'd recommend going 10k miles or so...twice as long as dino oil.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
arckeymolarkey said:
Ive gone about 6k on my oil.. oil life says it is 27% but next service in 720 days... doesn't really add up to me. When do you guys change your oil?
If you are running mobil 1 or another approved synthetic then 12-18k miles (or 12-18months), when the oil change algorithm tells you to change it.
So far there has been nobody on this site complaining that their 93SS/SC/CV has sludge problems or any other problems from following the recommended oil change regime of fully synthetic when the car tells you it wants new oil.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
ctrlz said:
After 957 oil threads, the correct answer is...
Whenever.
So fricking true.
Perhaps 5am on a Saturday when there is an F in the month.

GM now warrants the powertrain on these for 100k they would not propose 12-18k oil changes if that increased their warranty costs. This 3-6k dino oil culture here is so entrenched it is crazy.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I though the Interval was dropped to 10K in 05 or 06? As opposed to the 03's/4's which were said to be 15K.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The interval on my 06 is either once a year or when the oil life monitor reaches 0% oil life remaining. The sytem will remind you that an oil change is due in either case.

I don't drive nearly enough miles in a year for it to reach 0% oil life remaining in a year. In fact, based on what I've seen so far, it won't reach 0% till I've driven about 17,000 miles.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Even using synthetic oil I change my oil every 5000km. Reason being, much better for the motor, and I truly believe going 10k on the oil is rediculous.

But when in doubt , change it as soon as it starts getting a little dark ;)
I change it every 5k regardless. :)

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
:eek: If your changing Synthetic every 5000km (3100 miles) you may as well use Mineral Oil. The Original Spec on my Vector was a 15,000 mile Interval, some of us (03/4's) change every 7.5, which is a walk in the park for todays Synthetics.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had my service light (SID) come on as well around 5500 mi, took it into the dealership and they looked into it. They ended up changing the oil and stated something to the effect that since I had a 6spd (manual) it required them to change it. Other than potential extra wear from downshifts, I don't understand their response. Nonetheless, after just over 11k on the odometer the service light came on again. Took it in and they changed the oil again. If this stays consistent then I'll be on the twice a year plan for changing the oil. I don't know if it makes a difference but I have an '06 Aero CV 6spd.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
IMO I'd get a different Dealer to check out your electronics, that sounds Very extreme. I "Think" 06 was the year the Interval was changed to 10K from 15K. Unless you are driving in extreme conditions or an extremely aggressive driver you should easily get to 9-10K on the Oil Life Algorithm.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The 06 models do not use a mileage-based service interval. I don't think the previous models do either.

On the 06 models:

IF it's been one year since the last oil change[1], THEN change it as the SID is reminding you to. Reset the oil life monitor.

IF the oil life reaches 0% THEN change the oil, as the SID is reminding you to. Reset the oil life monitor.

[1]This is also counted as one year since the vehicle was built. Mine requested an oil change in June of 07, it was built in June of 06, even though it didn't go "into service" until Sept of 06 (warranty expires Sept of 2010). So if your vehicle sat on the lot for a while before you bought it, this maybe why it requested an oil change so soon. You can see this under "Days to Service", it counts down from 365 as soon as you reset it.

Oh yea..if you're halfway good with math you can figure out how many miles it's gonna be to get to 0% based on how you've been driving the vehicle (which is how the oil life monitor calculates the remaining oil life). With my driving, it's around 17,000 miles. But I do a *LOT* of highway driving, someone who mainly drives in the city will have a shorter oil life.

·
Registered
160 Posts
JonV said:
IMO I'd get a different Dealer to check out your electronics, that sounds Very extreme. I "Think" 06 was the year the Interval was changed to 10K from 15K. Unless you are driving in extreme conditions or an extremely aggressive driver you should easily get to 9-10K on the Oil Life Algorithm.
Yeah, I'm none too happy with this dealer. Unfortunately they are the only dealer in the area. You are correct, the interval is supposed to be 15k and no I am not driving in extreme conditions (St. Louis) with the exception of the roads... Ugh! I hate STL roads (interstate and all). And my driving averages more on the conservative side but I take many short hops (to/from work) which is more harsh on the engine - possibly could be the reason.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Nah, I think there's a Computer Glitch, if your on the 15K Interval and an average Driver/commuter it should not reccomend Service that often.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
brianl703 said:
The 06 models do not use a mileage-based service interval. I don't think the previous models do either.

On the 06 models:

IF it's been one year since the last oil change[1], THEN change it as the SID is reminding you to. Reset the oil life monitor.

IF the oil life reaches 0% THEN change the oil, as the SID is reminding you to. Reset the oil life monitor.

[1]This is also counted as one year since the vehicle was built. Mine requested an oil change in June of 07, it was built in June of 06, even though it didn't go "into service" until Sept of 06 (warranty expires Sept of 2010). So if your vehicle sat on the lot for a while before you bought it, this maybe why it requested an oil change so soon. You can see this under "Days to Service", it counts down from 365 as soon as you reset it.

Oh yea..if you're halfway good with math you can figure out how many miles it's gonna be to get to 0% based on how you've been driving the vehicle (which is how the oil life monitor calculates the remaining oil life). With my driving, it's around 17,000 miles. But I do a *LOT* of highway driving, someone who mainly drives in the city will have a shorter oil life.

Days to service does not count down in order....it's based on the Oil Life Service Algorithm, it sort of parellels the percentage. Sxxt...another Oil Thread:eek:

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
JonV said:
I though the Interval was dropped to 10K in 05 or 06? As opposed to the 03's/4's which were said to be 15K.
It changed for the 06' MY. Alot to do with people not maintaining the vehicles (ie, the ditsy chick driving the fleet vehicle only 8,000 miles a year and never checking the oil). I guess GM felt the cars might get more attention with the lower interval. We certainly know by now that the proper full synthetic can go up to 18,000 miles just fine.

And as said already: search, search, search...plenty of info.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Seems strange that it is telling you two years ... I am a beleiver in the '06 algorithum however as it requested that I change my oil after only 5,500 miles and about 100 days remaining. Work is 3-miles from the house and many days I take that trip 4 times (home for lunch). That's got to be close to worst case for the engine oil.

·
Registered
271 Posts
At 14,500 miles on my '06 Aero the oil had been changed twice at the dealership. I think the Oil life in the V6 is less then the Ecotec.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
JonV said:
Days to service does not count down in order....it's based on the Oil Life Service Algorithm, it sort of parellels the percentage.
That's funny.

Today, on Oct 3, 2007, my 2006 93 says 247 days to service.

The oil was changed and the reminder cleared on June 7, 2007.

365 minus 247 is 118 days. So if the days to service has been counting down in order, it should have been 118 days since the last oil change.

How many days has it been since June 7, 2007?

Let's see... 30 - 7, gives us 23 days in June, 31 days in July, 31 days in August, 30 days in September, and 3 days in October.

23 + 31 + 31 + 30 + 3 = 118 days.

Well that certainly seems to show that it's counting down in order.

How about the oil life remaining percentage?

Currently it is at 79%. The oil was last changed at 9,772 miles, and the car currently has 13,538 miles on it.

How long will it take me to reach 0%, both in time and mileage assuming I continue driving as I have been? Is it possible that I will reach 0% in June of 2008, and that is why my days to service appears at this point to reach 0 on June 7, 2008?

Driving as I do, it took 3766 miles to use up 21% of the oil life. It also took me 118 days to drive that many miles, or roughly 1000 miles a month.

Each 179 miles I drive deducts 1% from the oil life remaining.

Therefore, on this oil change, I can drive 17,900 miles, going by the percentage. Since I drive about 1000 miles a month, that is about a year and a half (18 months) from June of 07, meaning I should reach 0% somewhere around December of 08. Not June of 08.

*IF* the days to service were really tracking/paralleling the percentage, it should currently have about additional 180 days on it (6 months) for a total of around 427 days to service, give or take a few days.

Since it does not, this is additional evidence, in addition to that I have provided above, that the days to service does not track the percentage of oil life remaining on the 06 models.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts