SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Few days ago, When i drove and my friend ask me, why the key position should be the middle of the pilot and front passenger, I just said for safety.
And then she said can I turn off the key when you were driving, I answered YES. (I saw a forum about saab vehicle which showed that the key can't be turn off whey you are driving.)
After she asked, she turn off the engine and all shut down. No power and no power.
If the children turn off the key on highway because they are mischievous or curious? what will be happened? Is it right to design without concerning about this?

By the way, I am glad to be a member of Saab Central. New guy of 2001 9-5.
Surfing for many days and I changed many stuff by myself, Fuel, Air, and Cabin Filter, Spark Plug and now I changed the ATF in first round.
One thing that I want to ask is that when I pour the new ATF into the tube, some fluid sprinkle on engine and some parts, is it OK for that? I am scard that it will damage them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome to the forums, may your stay here be a pleasent one.

To answer your first question about key location, I'll say visit your local Saab dealer and question them or call the Saab customer relations group and voice your concerns, and ask them why. Heck if I know, but I think it's cool. It gets me everytime I'm about to start the car up.
2nd question, a little spilled fluid won't hurt anything. But if you're really concern, just spray it off with some brake cleaner or other automotive cleaner.
And since you changed all those things recently, it means you've got skills and know how to sling a wrench.

Again, welcome.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The key is there so you can lock the transmission when removing it from the car.

The seat belts are there to restrain your children.

Bicycles are there for the kids to ride if they cant be trusted to not try and kill the entire family by shutting the car down on the highway........

·
Registered
579 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
The key is there so you can lock the transmission when removing it from the car.

The seat belts are there to restrain your children.

Bicycles are there for the kids to ride if they cant be trusted to not try and kill the entire family by shutting the car down on the highway........
Chris....that's one of the best posts ever.:lol:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Teckniec1999 9-5V6 said:
That might be true when I had my accident my right knee got banged up pretty good. It wasn't in a saab
Yea, that's what I've heard too. On all cars, I believe the steering column will collapse to not cause injury to the driver but the thing the key fits into (i'm gonna call it the key cylinder) seems like it would be a solid metal piece. So that would probably cause injury in a severe enough collision.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would also mention the key in the center is not very safe. I had an experience while driving on the highway and the girlfriend decided to lean over for *ahem* a kiss and knocked it with her knee turning off the car.. Loss of power steering and no acceleration. I say thats dangerous at 80!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
hambone575 said:
I would also mention the key in the center is not very safe. I had an experience while driving on the highway and the girlfriend decided to lean over for *ahem* a kiss and knocked it with her knee turning off the car.. Loss of power steering and no acceleration. I say thats dangerous at 80!
So do i. I would suggest you restrain your girlfriend whilst in the car in case she feels the need to give you an *ahem* kiss! ;)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Reverse Lock

knocked it with her knee turning off the car
I've done this while my wife is driving, and I was attempting to attend to our newborn in the back seat.

Whilst rolling (without pressing brake):

1) push the gear lever into neutral (do not press the shift lever)
2) start the car
3) pull the gear lever back to Drive

The reverse lock will keep the car from going into reverse. This only works if the lever on the shifter is NOT pressed!

My wife had freaked out when this happened but I had learned this several years back in driver's Ed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Kappa619 said:
I thought I had heard that the key position was to protect your knees in a crash.
That is Saab's official stance on the subject, the introduction to Saab CD that came with my car stated that was their intention. As well think of it like this, you get in the car, connect your seat belt, while your hand is there, start he car and just a few inches away, the gear selector,and if you need some fresh air, the window switch is right there too.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
kitechan said:
One thing that I want to ask is that when I pour the new ATF into the tube, some fluid sprinkle on engine and some parts, is it OK for that? I am scard that it will damage them.
Are you using a funnel that fits good in the tube? I just changed my ATF 3 times and it is hard to spill with a funnel.

Welcome to the forum, join the conversations and learn lots about your car.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Looking at the above examples, women were to blame :roll:
Women................know your limits! :evil:

It's a Joke love honest ;oops:

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Wulf said:
Are you using a funnel that fits good in the tube? I just changed my ATF 3 times and it is hard to spill with a funnel.

Welcome to the forum, join the conversations and learn lots about your car.
I have bought a funnel, but it is too short and small, I picked it fitting 1/2 tube". Why it was spilled on engine?
Because every ATF is almost full when they have been packaged and the funnel is in low position, also no space to put the ATF lower than small funnel.

But today secound round to change ATF, I bought a long one to replace, it is good and no more ATF spilled.:D

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Nor_Cal_Driver said:
That is Saab's official stance on the subject, the introduction to Saab CD that came with my car stated that was their intention. As well think of it like this, you get in the car, connect your seat belt, while your hand is there, start he car and just a few inches away, the gear selector,and if you need some fresh air, the window switch is right there too.
I had heard that it was to keep you from having to reach in all sorts of various places and spped up take-off ( I thought my CD said it limits hand mocvements like in a Jet but it was so long ago I may be wrong)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Where did you read it was ok to shut the car off when driving it?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Where did you read it was ok to shut the car off when driving it?
I've done it, nothing bad happens, in fact, the engine keeps turning.

You don't even have to pull it out of drive on the automatics, and you can even leave the clutch out on the manuals

All you have to do is turn the key back to on, (without cranking the starter) and the engine receives fuel and spark instantly. In fact, when I parked on an incline and my fuel gauge was reading incorrectly, I turned the car off breifley then turned the ignition back to on. The car didn't even slow down 5 mph, the fuel gauge refreshed and read correctly, annnd I continued on at 75 mph! :cool:

One thing to watch out for however, is the starter lockout is not engaged after you do this, which means that you could bump it over and engage the starter which is a little hard on it when the engine is running. No biggy though.

Since the oil pump is ran off of the crankshaft, and the engine continues to turn, the engine continues to get oil, so there is no damage done there.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Where did you read it ?
Referring to this:

kitechan said:
I saw a forum about saab vehicle which showed that the key can't be turn off whey you are driving.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
There are in fact 3 reasons for the key in the centre console ...

1) as mentioned, safety - you can't bang your knee in a crash
2) also as mentioned, ergonomics - you have everything there, shifter, e-brake, window switches ... everything is together
3) security - the whole locking mechanism has been made a lot more secure against someone breaking into your car and trying to start it without the key

As for being able to turn the car off whilst driving ... I'll have to question Saab on that. :roll:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts