SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never actually seen it working, it is always one that turns on cools off the engine. Is it supposed to be this way or it needs to be checked?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
it runs when the A/C is on. Draws a constant flow of air thru the condensor to improve cooling.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very quick, both of you :)
My AC doesn't work too so I guess that explains the fan. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Family is in the kitchen carving pumpkins! Kids and knives making me cringe so I thought I'd hide out in the office here at the back of the house and keep an ear out for bleeding finger screams!

Saabs are good ambulances too:D

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
jetman said:
Family is in the kitchen carving pumpkins! Kids and knives making me cringe so I thought I'd hide out in the office here at the back of the house and keep an ear out for bleeding finger screams!

Saabs are good ambulances too:D
My oil cooled turbo does sound like a siren!:D

·
Registered
954 Posts
I just spoke with one of my mechanic friends about this today. It kicks on when the the temp gauge hits 3/4 without AC on.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I'm assuming that the main cooling fan is the one on the intake side (drivers) so if I wanted both to run when the main fan runs I could just splice a power wire from the main fan to the aux ( A/C fan) does this sound right?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
The main cooling fan is on the exhaust side. I think you have it backwards there. And yes, you can just splice the wires together if you want. Although it shouldn't actually be neccesary with a properly functioning cooling system.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Make sure it's not broken - they wear out quit quickly with the a/c being on....

If it is broken, fix it, as the a/c heat exchanger in front of the radiator tends to reduce the air flow.

Ask me how I know!

·
Registered
13,112 Posts
There are several different iterations of the auxiliary cool fan wiring, each working slightly differently. That's why there are a variety of answers every time the question comes up.

I would avoid simply wiring the two fans together. The fuse and wiring were never intended to take a doubled load.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Good point... I may just wire up a manual switch like some others have done.. ( btw I have no a/c, had to make room for fmic )

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
That's a good plan. Or at least better then just wiring them together. Its not something I would want kicking in all the time. I might flip mine on a few times a year at most.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts