SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure the car in my profile (w/ 96,000 miles) has the original timing chain. When should I have it replaced? Does it cause more damage if it breaks?

With my mileage being at 96K should I just budget and get it repaired ASAP? What are the average costs?

As always, thanks for looking at my multiple questions in a single post:D

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
This timing chain durability thing is hard to pin down - the lifespan seems to be around 100 to 150 more or less K miles..

The auto-maker tried? to make this a "lifetime" part, I think..
They should not do such stupid things !
Maybe QC is the problem here - it is this vs CC (cost control)...IMO, CC is winning, but we are not...

·
Registered
65 Posts
you have to have nerves of steel and a couple of free hands :lol:

I changed mine through the valve-cover. have a friend thats a mech. so I relied on his expertise, wouldnt do it on my own. If it goes wrong you have to take off the timingchain cover. its a hek of a job. probably a engine-out-of-car job :roll:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nuff said, I new when I replied that this something that I'm not comfortable with.

My car is actually at a tech now, being serviced. I just called to have them "Check the timing chain tensioner, so I have a measurable indication of the amount of wear on the timing chain and chain guides":cheesy:

Thanks to the link you provided, I actually sounded like I know what I'm talking about:cool:

Worst case scenario (just so I'm not blindsided), what is the cost to have the chain replaced? Anyone??

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Have your nerves of steel octopus/mechanic change the chain ,IF, it is rattling or the adjuster is "bottomed out"..Some hours of labor and a $50 new chain....If this job is done by the book at a dealer, then expect $$$$ !

I do NOT know if this is the best course of action - the chain is supposed to be "good for life" - whatever that means.....
A lot of this depends on the number of miles on the engine ...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The mechanic call me back and said he did not hear anything unusual and suspects the timing chain to be in good working order. So I'm not going to worry about it right now. If it does ever decide to break or cause problems, hopefully I'll hear/notice it in time before it causes more damage or leave me stranded somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts