SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 17inch 5-spoke alloys that came standard on a 2004 Aero.

I'm wondering if anybody has used the 17inch 5spoke-twin (came on a 9-3ss) on the 9-5 car and how sturdy they might be ?

Specifically interested in whether they are more prone to going out-of-round (denting) that what I have now. They have the same offset ET=49 as my current wheels.

Trying to figure whether to have mine refinished or to get new wheels.

I have attached a pic of 17inch 5spoke-twin in case you haven't seen it before.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Aren´t these the same wide than the ones you have in your 9-5?
A lot of people have used 9-3SS inch wheels in the 9-5 with no probs at all.
One of my favorites though are the 2000+ classic 9-3 aero ones:

, but it´s all personal preference i guess...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
a lot of people run the twin 5 spokers on their 9-5's. I don't know how strong they are, but it seems like a lot of saab wheels are on the weak side. IMO those twin spokers look awesome though so if you have a shot at them, TAKE em.

if not, get the viggen wheels or the klingon 3 spokes, those are AWESOME choices also. I have the BBS rk2's and love them though.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well actually they are weak because most are made of aluminium. If i´m not wrong, all 9-5 inch wheels before september 2001 (first restyling) were made all of steel. That makes a lot of difference. And the classic 9-3 inch wheels are all steel too. So they wouldn´t get much dented...;)
It was GM that decided to use alu instead of steel...:evil:

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Almost all except the lowest end wheels are made out of aluminum now, and have been for years ... the only steel ones are the ugly black or grey "steelies" that people use in the winter with plastic hubcaps:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks All

Yes Ninethree those look good, and yes oviedo those might be my 2nd choice.

It's too bad I can't buy forged aluminum wheels from saab instead of just cast aluminum (the cast being soft and easily dented) but that's just the facts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts