SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden my 04 Arc is making a lot of noise from what sounds like the passenger wheels, it almost sounds like the brakes are worn out. I only have 11k on the car and my initial inspection of the pads look fine. I cannot get the same noise by jacking up the car and spinning the wheels, but I notice it from 2 mph and up.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
no pebbles or grit in the pads or rotors? are the discs scored at all? i can hear the rear brakes at low speeds but have been led to beleive that that is normal.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Any chance you have a failed wheel bearing? When the car is jacked up try tugging the wheel side to side. If there is a lot of play it is most likely a bad wheel bearing.

It's usually a fairly rare problem at your mileage, but when I was at the dealer the other day they were replacing the wheel bearing on a SS there that looked fairly new.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A bad wheel bearing would have a wobble sound wouldn't it? It really sounds like it's the wear indicator on the braked grinding on the roters but I can't see any issues.
It figures it has to happen on the holiday weekend :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
are you getting this noise when applyin brakes?
if yes time to check the pads if low or even cracked..

and also if your going into a sharp turn is the noise louder or quieter?
if yes wheel/hub bearin may be bad..

hope this helps

·
Registered
895 Posts
zykur said:
All of a sudden my 04 Arc is making a lot of noise from what sounds like the passenger wheels, it almost sounds like the brakes are worn out. I only have 11k on the car and my initial inspection of the pads look fine. I cannot get the same noise by jacking up the car and spinning the wheels, but I notice it from 2 mph and up.
Any ideas?
try tightening your lug nuts. i have had this problem once. and this was the answer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had this problem right after I got my car.. Lour grinding noise form passenger wheel. Dealer looked and my passenger wheel bearing was shot.. they said there was NO grease in there. Replaced the bearing and had no problems after that

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It may have been a pebble, I tried to replicate the noise over the weekend and I can't make it do it again. I just wasn't sure if there was a know issue that would cause the brakes to do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts