SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new 9-3er here (moved over from c900). I recently bought a 1999 9-3 viggen. The car itself is lightning blue, two door. A previous owner has upgraded to an abbott stage 3, koni dampers all round and sports brakes. The preivious owner has also taken off the original 5 spoke wheels and fitted the aero wheels (the 6 spoke wheel where 3 of the spokes are thick, and 3 of them are thin) along with low profile tyres (dunlop). Because the ride height has been lowered, i am finding the car a bit of a pain sometimes in everyday driving. The front skirt is rubbing the road surface on occasions when i go over speed bumps etc, especially on the corners of the front spoiler.

If i were to change the tyres over to "normal" tyres, would this increase the ride height enough so that it wouldn't rub as much, it even rubs when i reverse out of my driveway up a slight incline!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
It should slightly affect your ride height. I have normal sized tires on my koni lowered SE, and I still run into som issues, then again my driveway has a nasty slope on it, but still.

·
Registered
774 Posts
What size tires do you have at the moment and what do you mean by "normal size" ?
On a Viggen even with 17" wheels you are bound to have a low profile tire (215 or 225/45-17) and you can't just go and increase the profile or you will most likely have some rubbing and at least throw the speedo off.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I know where you are coming from - I went from a lowered c900 and things got worse. It originaly came with big 225/45/18 wheels and I noticed nothing worse as regards clearance when I went to 205/55/16. Do you have the Abbott springs? - I suggest returning to the stock Viggen springs will be the only solution. What are your Koni's set at? - I have found the best for handling, comfort and clearance over bumps is full soft - as they are only adjustable for rebound ( not compression) too high a setting stops the car from rising up as fast. Mines still impractical on many london roads with speed humps and I have to plan my journeys carefully if I travel localy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the tires are 215/45/r17's. The springs are set at their softest setting, as for springs, i don't know which they are. I would assume they are abbott. I was under the impression the original stock viggen wheel was a 17 inch wheel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts