SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I had a tire changed at a highly-rated Tire Rack location, the wheel weight that was used caused a leak over night. Luckily, I didn't mount the tire/wheel and just removed the weight to seal the leak, but it obviously affected the balance. So my question is if a certain wheel weight is required for the Viking wheels, or if the weight was just installed incorrectly... Ron

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
^^^^ this. Always use stick on wheel weights on alloy wheels if you care. And a tire machine that doesn't grip the interior wheel bell with sharp teeth

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wheels in question are 21 years old from 1997, that's why I'm asking.

My son's 2015 Impala won't even accept weights on the outside of the rims.

So, I guess I need to remove each wheel and scrub the inside of the wheel so that the installer can mount stick-on weighs securely... Ron

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
No one puts weights on the outside of wheels any more unless they are steel. The folks balancing should clean the inside of the wheel where the tape weight goes. Outer diameter of inner wheel bell and inside as close to the spoke also in the inner wheel bell

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just wanted to update this post if anyone is interested.

First, I have not had much luck with stick-on wheel weights. The seem to come off at less that 100 miles or so, when applied to a clean wheel.

Since the car is 21 years old, I don't care if the weights are on the inside or the outside, as long as the wheel/tire combination stays balanced.

Now, the new stuff. There are 8 types of clip-on wheel weights, and come in various weights. The new ones don't contain lead and are coated so as not to corrode where they touch the wheel.

A Saab wheel takes a type IAW wheel weight. The inside edge of that weight is tapered at a 45 degree angle to fit the inside of the wheel. One of the weights from an old wheel verified this.

For more information about wheel weights check out this site:

https://www.lawsonproducts.com/pdfs/PIRAT_Wheel_Weights_PI.pdf

... Ron

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
No one puts weights on the outside of wheels any more unless they are steel. The folks balancing should clean the inside of the wheel where the tape weight goes. Outer diameter of inner wheel bell and inside as close to the spoke also in the inner wheel bell

If it's an old-school alloy rim, there's no issue with outside wheel weights. They do have to be coated to prevent corrosion, and yes, they may mark the rim anyway. The 15" alloys for my NG900 have clip-on weights and they work fine. I think I've seen actual new cars with clip-on weights on their alloys. Obviously not Mercedes or Lexus or anything posh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts