SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got off the phone with the wheel service who are installing my new Tire Rack tires (Avon M500s, which I guess makes them 'tyres') on my stock 16" Viking aero wheels... the shop told me two of the rims are bent up pretty well and they'd like to straighten 'em for me. Said if not repaired, the wheels over time will tend to stress fatigue and I'd be looking at mysterious flats, then probably some welding or outright replacement.

That the wheels are bent doesn't surprise me, since I have had a slow leak in one of them.

What did surprise me is that they want $85/wheel. Seems like a lot for putting the thing on a press for what I would think would be less than an hour per. They told me this is a standard, common cost for this kind or work.

Anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Is this in fact pretty common? Is this charge reasonable? Note I've told them to go ahead with it since I figure the work needs to be done and the shop has a decent reputation, but I'm trying to figure out if this is a place I'd want to go back to, or if they're just trying to drum up work (a tiny place that specializes only in wheels).

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The cost seems about right, close to what I was quoted. I've had four bent Viking rims over the years. Two were pounded out with a sledge at little cost, but at the risk of cracking the rim. Two were replaced with used rims bought on ebay (for close to $100 ea. after shipping)

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
This cost is high,IMO, but cheaper than hammering and cracking and then paying over $150 per for refurbishing..

Better is well painted steel rims and chrome hubcaps and trim..

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
earthworm said:
This cost is high,IMO, but cheaper than hammering and cracking and then paying over $150 per for refurbishing...
Agreed, but used Viking rims are not hard to find, so cracking one is not a big loss. I often feel everything I do on the car should be done "right", whatever the cost, but that is not always feasible. So, I saved two rims for the cost of a few bucks to someone who is good with a big hammer, and later when that was not an option, I bought used rims for about the same price as a refurb.

Here is another flat price alternative, perhaps not the best, but not the most expensive, either:

http://fixrim.com/wheel.htm

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I think I paid 67$ to have my 15" alloy staightened. It had an obvious dent in the very outer rim though.

Still, I wish there was some way to validate the bent'ness of rims taken to a shop like this. My friend took some wheels in to the same shop I went to, and 3 of his four suposedly were bent. I'd say if the wheel was spinning without vibration in it before, then they should be able to balance out anything too terrible. I mean really, NOBODY makes a perfect wheel or tire, but if it cannot be balanced with a reasonable weight, then its time to fix it.

Tboy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts