SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed out all the brake pads on my 97 900se and ever since there has been a howling and squealing coming from the front two wheels. It sounds as if something is rubbing. It doesn't happen all the time, and it only does it when I'm coming to a stop. I checked the wheels and nothing jumped out at me. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
You may have to redo the brakes, Jeremy, something may be amiss..

Did you change the rotors ?
Which brand of pads ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't change out the rotors, they seem to be in pretty good condition. The pads are Bendix. I was hoping to avoid having to change the rotors because they are a bit pricey.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
JeremyS said:
I didn't change out the rotors, they seem to be in pretty good condition. The pads are Bendix. I was hoping to avoid having to change the rotors because they are a bit pricey.
As long as the rotors are within thickness spec and you experience no brake pedal pulsation, all is fine with the rotors..

The Saab rotors are reasonably priced at eEuroParts, IMO...

I'd guess that, if everything else is OK, the new pads have to bed into the old rotors - this takes a bit of time...

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Why wait for time to take care of it. Go down to the parts store and get a bottle of something like brake quiet, etc. (any of the silicone-type anti squeal goops). Remove the pads again and slather this stuff on the back. Let it dry a minute or 2 (just enough to firm up a tad) reinsert. No more squealing. I tried 40 different things before this. I assumed the rotors themselves were at fault since I also replaced them but nope!

You can also use plain old automotive goop. The squeal is from the pads vibrating as they shift around in the caliper. Do NOT forget to do the rears as when mine did this, though it sounded like it was solely the fronts, the rears were howling as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts