SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1995 900 convertible a few weeks ago, so far It’s been a great car. One of its issues is that it has 2 bent wheels that cause the car to wiggle a bit different speeds. The tires currently have about 50% tread on them. In shopping around the going rate to fix the bent wheels is about $100 each. So I'm thinking it would actually make more sense to buy new wheels and tires. I found tirerack.com on this site and found a set for under $700, my question is should I go with 16 or 17 inch wheels. I've never had anything but stock wheels on a car before. Are there any positives or negatives going with the larger wheel? Is just a looks thing?

Thanks
Al

·
Registered
772 Posts
larger wheels -
-will have a slightly stiffer ride due to the lower profile sidewall
-more expensive tires
-handle better due to less sidewall thus less sidewall flex
-some feel look better

I prefer larger wheels & feel the slightly stiffer ride is totally worth the added tire cost & also slight increase in ride firmness.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
You have to take many factors into account when you make such a decision.

Are you looking for comfort or better handling?
How are the roads in your area? Ar they smooth or in a rough shape? If your 15s are bent I bet the roads aren't that smooth.
The bigger the wheel, the thinner the rubber on it.

You can go as big as 19" if you want. The ride will get rougher with each size you go up. You'll feel the bumps in the road. If I lived in Miami, I'd go with 19"s

I went from 15" to 17" and I'm regretting it now with our crappy Montreal roads. My Viggen wheels are all bent now :x

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just changed over from 205/60x15's on my C900 to the 205/55x16's on my (new) NG900SEt, and from the change in ride I'd strongly recommend against the 17's. The NG900's ride is harsh-enough with the 205/55's. The difference in side-wall height from road surface to wheel rim is startling, and the NG900's chassis is much less forgiving.

My two-cents.....

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
i'm loving my 16s

·
Registered
774 Posts
17's I think is a good compromise between looks and driveability.
With 17's the ride still is very smooth and nice.
I have had 17's (still during the winter), 18's and now 19's and I still think the ride is comfortable enough. Sure it's a lot harsher then with stock 16", but hey one gets used to it pretty soon :)

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
pade900 said:
17's I think is a good compromise between looks and driveability.
With 17's the ride still is very smooth and nice.
I have had 17's (still during the winter), 18's and now 19's and I still think the ride is comfortable enough. Sure it's a lot harsher then with stock 16", but hey one gets used to it pretty soon :)
Pade, that may be good on great smooth roads. European roads and southern US roads are smooth without many pot holes and bumps. We have road that can only compare to Afghanistan's roads :lol:. 17" aren't comftable in those areas! But they sure look good.

And again it depends on the objective of the change and the level of comfort you can live with.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Well the roads here in Helsinki and most other areas of Finland are far from good.
I still think it's a matter of getting used to. Naturally bigger wheels will always lead to some loss in comfort, no doubt. It just comes down to personal preferences of how much one is willing to give up :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I had 18's on for most of the summer. They looked great and felt planted.

Now they look good in the garage as two are bent and leak air.

When I put the 17's on, I felt much more comfortable and 'quicker'.

I have no issues with 16's other than bigger wheels fill the arches better.

17's will stay on the car all year from now on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the replies, that was just the kind of feedback I was looking for. I think my choice will be between the 16 and 17 inch wheel. Unfortunately our taxes seem to keep going up, while at the same time the potholes keep getting bigger.

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
algie1100 said:
Thank you all for the replies, that was just the kind of feedback I was looking for. I think my choice will be between the 16 and 17 inch wheel. Unfortunately our taxes seem to keep going up, while at the same time the potholes keep getting bigger.

Thanks,
Al
If the pot holes keep getting bigger, go with the 16" wheels unless you want to replace them or repair themevery year or 2.

·
Registered
553 Posts
ya the taxes in washington keep going higher, I don't know what they are going to since the roads don't ever get fixed around here.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I have an interesting perspective as I have just got rid of 18" wheels on a 900 convertible and they were one of the biggest mistakes I have made with a car; the new900 convertible chassis is so much better behaved with reasonably light 17x7" wheels. The big problem with 16" rims is the chassis has a lot of wallow and bounce and the 16" tyres with their taller sidewalls add to this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts