SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Saab 9-3 which is making a grinding noise when I turn left. I am thinking it is the right wheel bearing. Also, I have noticed that when at high speeds, only when I am accelerating, I get a "bump" which feels a lot like there is a bubble in my tire, but again, only when accelerating.
Any thoughts on these two issues?
If it is the bearing, how difficult is it to replace? Any links for how to videos or "walk throughs"?
Thanks

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
If it is a metallic clicking sound experienced during turns, it sounds like a CV joint going bad.

See any and all posts regarding "wheel bearing" to get a consensus. Also, can you elaborate on the grinding and bumping sounds? Is it a repetitive sound, does it increase in frequency and loudness the faster you go? Typically, when you make turns, the bad wheel bearing on the same side as the turn you are making goes quiet as it gets unloaded by the weight shift. That is how one usually isolates a bad bearing.

Front bearings are a chore to replace as they require the use of a hyraulic press to force the old bearing out and to press the new bearing in. These are labor charges that are the crucial part but the bearing assembly itself is inexpensive, roughly $35 last I checked. Rear bearings are easy to replace because it is a hub/bearing assembly and it just bolts in place with 4 nuts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sound I am hearing during my left turn is not a clicking, more like a grinding when the right wheel is loaded during a left turn - that is why I was wondering if it might be a bearing.

The rhythmic feeling at high speeds is only during acceleration. It sounds/feels like an either an out of balance tire or a bubble in the tire (am going to have them checked out), but that would be an odd explanation given that it is only heard/felt during acceleration.

·
Registered
707 Posts
To test a bad bearing unload the wheel by jacking it up and trying to push and pull the wheel. It shouldn't wobble or feel at all loose.

If that still doesn't give you results, perhaps a warped rotor could be to blame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just had the tires rotated and balanced. Seemed to take care of the problem. But I did notice that the inner cv joint on the passenger side is slinging grease. Guess I will have to dig into that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts