SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't blieve that I'm posting this but here goes...I have a '93 and I can't get the lug bolts off any of the wheels. I used a 3' cheater bar on my lug wrench. No luck. Used my 345 ft-lb of torque electric impact wrench. Nothing. Took the car to Wal-Mart to have them use their air impact wrench with Liquid Wrench. Still frozen.

I know the lugs must come off because the tires are not 17 years old.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I remember one of the bolts on my old T8 was stuck fast, even a 4 ft cheater wouldn't get it off. Didn't matter in the end as i loaned the car to my brother, who turned it into a wreck within 6 months. But always wondered how I would have ever got it off.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
find out from p/o where he had the tyres changed lol,
get a scaffold pole and give it the heave ho, as that's obviously what someone else has done, or get a 4 way spider wheel spanner and you can have two people one pulling one pushing on the brace, or get a packer same height as wheel nut to the brace so it's sitting on top and try standing on the arm of one leg give it some teddy and /or get a friend to get a bar on the other leg and see if that will do it, lastly get the socket and a Tbar and 1kilo + lump hammer and belt the tbar, sometimes you have to do things and get damaged tools ....been there T shirt, as I had one of ours like that, glad I never had a puncture on way home from buying it, the were on solid, but with some hard teddy they came loose

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
find out from p/o where he had the tyres changed lol,
get a scaffold pole and give it the heave ho, as that's obviously what someone else has done, or get a 4 way spider wheel spanner and you can have two people one pulling one pushing on the brace, or get a packer same height as wheel nut to the brace so it's sitting on top and try standing on the arm of one leg give it some teddy and /or get a friend to get a bar on the other leg and see if that will do it, lastly get the socket and a Tbar and 1kilo + lump hammer and belt the tbar, sometimes you have to do things and get damaged tools ....been there T shirt, as I had one of ours like that, glad I never had a puncture on way home from buying it, the were on solid, but with some hard teddy they came loose
Agree with that. Nothing but brute force is going to solve this baby. Scaffold pole, longer the better. Work on the bolt opposite side of wheel to you and have someone stand on the brakes and use a high quality professional socket. If in doubt, use more force-heavier hammer-longer pole-bigger helpers.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
add some heat, and belt the head of the nut with a big hammer. it should shock load the threads and break any corrosion between them. just be careful not to hit the rim. then after that try undoing them with the brace (by stomping on the brace)
lol ive played this game before.............. :)

EDIT:
and as others have said if that dont work use more force-heavier hammer-longer pole-bigger helpers.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Don't use the tire iron that comes with the car, it will break.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Like others have said, a good quality socket, a strong breaker bar/flex handle and the longest length of pipe you can find. I've got an 8 foot length of fence pipe that is invaluable for these situations. It made breaking loose my axle nuts EASY. You can increase your ft-lbs of torque by wrenching harder (lbs) or wrenching smarter (ft). Double the length of your cheater bar and double your torque.

I think the ******* version involves bracing your flex handle against the ground and driving forward/backward.

If worse comes to worse, you can drill out the center of the studs with a large drill bit and the lugs will simply twist off the remainder of the lug. Of course, this is an absolute LAST resort. I did this once on an s10 I used to have but it didn't really matter because I was replacing the rotors which had the studs built into them.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If worse comes to worse, you can drill out the center of the studs with a large drill bit and the lugs will simply twist off the remainder of the lug. Of course, this is an absolute LAST resort. I did this once on an s10 I used to have but it didn't really matter because I was replacing the rotors which had the studs built into them.
But it sounds like this guy has lug bolts, which would make sense if he's talking about his '93 (they changed to lug bolts that thread into the hub after '87.

I suppose he could drill them out and then break them off to get the wheel off, but then he'd be stuck with some stubs sticking out of the hub, which would be even harder to get off (though penetrating oil could be applied to the actual threaded holes once the wheel and brake disc were off).

Guess all you can do is wail on them until they/your tools break. Once you've sheared the bolts off, the wheel will come off at least!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
The advantage to breaking the bolts would be the "clamping force" and friction against the wheel would be removed, only the thread friction (rust, etc) would be an issue. If its all the studs it is probably a clamping force issue caused by impact-wrench wielding idiots. Or a lack of spinach in your diet :lol:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Use a Chicago Pneumatic impact gun, CP series ,with a 3/4 or 17 mm, forget the size;oops:, 6 point impact socket.
If there is but one that is recalcitrant, reinstall all of the others, tight!
Withe the compressor tank at full pressure and the gun well oiled, hit it a few times, then let her rest. Its the vibrations that allow for successful loosening.
An impact air wrench is the only way, and you may need a 3/4" drive rather than the automotive standard 1/2 inch.
Truck/bus shops use 3/4", its BIG and POWERFUL!!!
Good luck, don't forget the anti-seize and the torque wrench.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
add some heat, and belt the head of the nut with a big hammer. it should shock load the threads and break any corrosion between them. just be careful not to hit the rim. then after that try undoing them with the brace (by stomping on the brace)
lol ive played this game before.............. :)

EDIT:
and as others have said if that dont work use more force-heavier hammer-longer pole-bigger helpers.
This is probably the best idea, but I like the use of a bigger more powerful impact wrench with over 150 psi in the tank.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I can't believe that I'm posting this but here goes...I have a '93 and I can't get the lug bolts off any of the wheels. I used a 3' cheater bar on my lug wrench. No luck. Used my 345 ft-lb of torque electric impact wrench. advertised, but not real life. Nothing. Took the car to Wal-Mart to have them use their air impact wrench with Liquid Wrench. Still frozen. Probably using a Walmart quality tool and compressor.

I know the lugs must come off because the tires are not 17 years old.

Any suggestions?
Go to a truck place and have them use their 3/4" Big Bertha air gun.:cheesy::cheesy:
Do have some 20s and 50s in your pocket.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Hit the Bolt Head once, really hard, with a big hammer.
Remove.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts