SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I have a 2000 9-3, and it seems like the right front wheel bearing may be starting to go. Here are the symptoms: When driving normally (my commute is mostly at 60mph), there is no rumbling/excess noise, regardless of whether I am making a sharpish right hand turn at around 15-25mph, I do hear a slight rumble/groan. It only happens when making these lower speed sharp turns, and the noise does not happen when just turning the wheel while stopped. Could this be a bearing starting to go? Previous advice leads me to believe so, but I am checking here on the Saab forums to make sure there is no other inherent issue I should be looking at.
Thanks

Leo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
Usually you can tell if the wheel bearinig is bad is for the right side bearing, make a left turn and it should make noise because the weight of the vehicle will shift onto that bearing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diosnoche said:
Usually you can tell if the wheel bearinig is bad is for the right side bearing, make a left turn and it should make noise because the weight of the vehicle will shift onto that bearing.
So this could be the left front bearing? Again, it only happens in right hand turns like going around the block, not taking 60mph turns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
I believe that it is the sharpness of the turn that places the load on the bearing; at 60mph one cannot turn nearly as sharply...

This depends on what area of the bearing has the roughness..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
Its probably best to lift the front of the vehicle and grab the wheel with your hands at 12 and 6 and check for looseness in the bearing.

Sometimes its easy to confuse a wheel bearing with bad CV driveshafts so its best to check the bearings as stated above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
lxk199 said:
So this could be the left front bearing? Again, it only happens in right hand turns like going around the block, not taking 60mph turns.
Yes. Sounds like the left front bearing headed out. A right turn places the load on the left bearings, and a left turn puts the load on the right ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
99Saabnut said:
Yes. Sounds like the left front bearing headed out. A right turn places the load on the left bearings, and a left turn puts the load on the right ones.
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll check the LF wheel when I get a chance this weekend. Are the wheel bearings for my model 9 3 cheaper then the 9 3 SS bearings? I know the newer 9 3's bearings aren't the cheapest in the world, but I didn't remember them being too bad for 99-02's when I actually worked in the parts business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tweek's Turbos said:
Then you know a junkard strut assembly would be cheaper and less of a pain than pressing the part out.:lol:
Well, I bought the car used and it came with one of those "warranties" that used car lots sell (I got it for free, no hidden costs to me since I paid cash), so I'm going to try that avenue first just in case. The warranty paperwork says the wheel bearings are covered, and the deductible is just $100 so I'm going to check around at the local shops and see what they say, if they will deal with the warranty company. I'm not counting on it, but it's worth a shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I jacked up the left side of the car and checked the bearing for play. I got no play either side to side or up and down. My wife also drove the car and did not hear the noise this morning. It's been warmer out today than the past few days, and this only started to happen when it got around 32 degrees or so. Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Does it happen when accelerating at a turn or just turning? Mine makes a grinding noies both on right and left turns but only when i accelerate. It's freaking me out, i don't know whether it's both bearings, something with the power steering or the transmission. Taking it down to the dealer soon see if they can spot anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Knifemundo said:
Does it happen when accelerating at a turn or just turning? Mine makes a grinding noies both on right and left turns but only when i accelerate. It's freaking me out, i don't know whether it's both bearings, something with the power steering or the transmission. Taking it down to the dealer soon see if they can spot anything.
It actually only happens when turning into residential streets (15-25mph) and only when 32 degrees or below, but interestingly enough, the power steering pump was making the same noise the other day while sitting still when I started the car, and it was about 25 degrees out (farenheit). The noise when turning has gone away since it warmed up a bit over the past few days.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top