SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd describe my wheel bearing noise saga in the hopes this helps someone in the future...

BTW: 178,000 miles on the clock.

First, a rythmic 'click, click, click' from the right front. Related to wheel speed only--accelleration, braking, etc did not seem to affect the noise. It sounded louder when turning left supporting the right wheel theory. There was no looseness in the wheel when jacked up. It didn't have the expected "whir, whir, whir" noise of a wheel bearing.

Facing a 2000 mile road trip, I pulled the right axle and wheel bearing. The hub nut was siezed on to the axle and I had to cut it off with a cut-off saw. Once apart, it was clear the wheel bearing wasn't great, as there was discernable play in the bearing when unmounted.

Reassembled with new outer CV joint and new wheel bearing--no change to the noise at all.

So I drove CA to Utah and back anyway. The noise got steadily louder and was rather concerning by the time we returned. A slight wobble could be felt in the steering wheel. Now it sounded like the left side.

So I pulled the left axle and wheel bearing. This bearing felt "rough" when turned by hand, but had no play. I replaced the left CV joint (pitting) and the wheel bearing (both tripod bearings looked fine).

Now she is happy again--bad noise gone.

Lessons:
- wheel bearing noise can be hard to tell where it is coming from just by listening--travels through the car. For a while we thought it was in the back.

- the type of sealed bearings in Saab 9000s can go bad without getting loose. There was never any "play" in either front wheel when mounted, but when disassembled it was clear both front bearings were tired.

- Replacing wheel bearings is relatively easy (and the front are not too expensive either). The rear ones look to be very expensive though...

Hope this helps someone...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I thought I'd describe my wheel bearing noise saga in the hopes this helps someone in the future...

BTW: 178,000 miles on the clock.

First, a rythmic 'click, click, click' from the right front. Related to wheel speed only--accelleration, braking, etc did not seem to affect the noise. It sounded louder when turning left supporting the right wheel theory. There was no looseness in the wheel when jacked up. It didn't have the expected "whir, whir, whir" noise of a wheel bearing.

Facing a 2000 mile road trip, I pulled the right axle and wheel bearing. The hub nut was siezed on to the axle and I had to cut it off with a cut-off saw. Once apart, it was clear the wheel bearing wasn't great, as there was discernable play in the bearing when unmounted.

Reassembled with new outer CV joint and new wheel bearing--no change to the noise at all.

So I drove CA to Utah and back anyway. The noise got steadily louder and was rather concerning by the time we returned. A slight wobble could be felt in the steering wheel. Now it sounded like the left side.

So I pulled the left axle and wheel bearing. This bearing felt "rough" when turned by hand, but had no play. I replaced the left CV joint (pitting) and the wheel bearing (both tripod bearings looked fine).

Now she is happy again--bad noise gone.

Lessons:
- wheel bearing noise can be hard to tell where it is coming from just by listening--travels through the car. For a while we thought it was in the back.

- the type of sealed bearings in Saab 9000s can go bad without getting loose. There was never any "play" in either front wheel when mounted, but when disassembled it was clear both front bearings were tired.

- Replacing wheel bearings is relatively easy (and the front are not too expensive either). The rear ones look to be very expensive though...

Hope this helps someone...
Did you experienced any vibration during acceleration and braking when you had the issue?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Saab Front hub/wheel bearings are V expensive. The Chinese Low grade ones are not.
Past reports suggest a 1 to 2 year lifespan.
Mebe they are a bit better now?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just bought 2 x front wheel bearings made by SKF at the price of 113 euros each. No I need to find time and place to replace them. I hope they last as much as the OEMs

·
Registered
80 Posts
NSK and SKF are both good quality bearings. Many OEM are one or the other. BTW, many clutch parts on Euro and Asian cars are actually rebranded or unstamped Valeo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts