SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My passanger side front wheel bearing is done. What is the difficulty level to fix this. I have limited access to tools except the normal set. I figure I may be able to take it someplace and get them repacked? Does that sound right? Thanks for your time. It's a 2001 9-5t

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just had mine done. I stayed to watch the repair. Took them 2.5 hours. It was quite hard. The hardest part was removing the bearing itself (because of rust i believe). They resorted to hammering it and breaking it apart and then taking it out in pieces. Then they needed to put a new one on. Had some kind of machine push it back into its place (large machine that added the force needed that a peron cant do himself). Then he put back the whole assembly.
Bearing cost: $40
Job: $200
Difficulty: Not a DIY unless you are a mechanic

Hope this helps

Fima :D

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Yep I agree, they use a press I guess :confused: Mine took half a day too :roll:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Worst part is not covered by insurance . . .

I just had both sides done on a 6 cyl 2000 9-5 and it cost $380. The dealer was $400. If I knew it would have been that close I would have had the dealer do it because at least they have the right tools.
Paid $900 for a service policy but wheel bearings are not covered on this policy! I couldn't believe this and now I hear the same noise from one of my wheel bearings getting louder on my other Saab, a 2001 9-5 :roll:

·
Registered
54 Posts
What does the bearing sound like?

I have a rhythmic squeak in the passenger side front wheel. It goes when I am NOT braking, so I am sure its not the brake pad. The dealer took the wheel off and says that the super hard aftermarket pads that have been installed have damaged the calipers and the rotors and want me to replace both parts on both sides. Is this for real? Are they ****ting me? The pads dont seem to fit in the caliper very good, they are kind of loose. Could this rhythmic squeaking be a wheel bearing??

·
Registered
149 Posts
jchastn said:
I have a rhythmic squeak in the passenger side front wheel. It goes when I am NOT braking, so I am sure its not the brake pad. The dealer took the wheel off and says that the super hard aftermarket pads that have been installed have damaged the calipers and the rotors and want me to replace both parts on both sides. Is this for real? Are they ****ting me? The pads don't seem to fit in the caliper very good, they are kind of loose. Could this rhythmic squeaking be a wheel bearing??
At least for me when the wheel bearings are slowly going it manifests itself as a low rumble or muffled grinding sound that gets louder or softer depending on which way I turn the wheel while moving slowly as when pulling in my driveway or circling around a parking lot. Squeaking sounds I have found are brake or caliper related. I'd try getting the rotors turned first if there is enough meat on them left and replace with stock pads. After that you can always get new rotors if you still needed them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts