SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 9-3 and I am considering upgrading to 17 inch wheels and tires. With that said, would it be possible to use a 225/45/17 tire on these cars without any problems, or would a smaller tire be more appropriate.

Of the people that have upgraded your wheels, did any of you have difficulties finding a wheel style that you liked that came in the 5*110 bolt pattern. I've been told that these car have an uncommon bolt pattern, and nearly every wheel that i've wanted won't fit this car. Are their any particular wheel brands I should look at that might fit?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.:lol:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Yes this is a unique size. Just a tip, we have the same 5x110 pattern as the Cadillac Catera and a Staurn. Not that there are that many good wheels for those two cars, but just a little info.

I have 225-45 and they rub a bit, go with 215-45 to be safe.

And don't forget about Saab OEM 17s. They're strong, good looking, and can be had for reasonable cash used.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's interesting that you say the Cadillac Catera has the same bolt pattern. My Aunt has one, and she was going to get new wheel a few years ago, and she gave up because she couldn't find any she liked that came in the bolt patten. I never put it together that these cars have the same bolt pattern.

I love the Saab Turbine Five Spoke Wheels, but they are much more expensive that what I can afford.
I meant to ask in the original post if there is a noticeable difference in ride quality moving up in wheel size?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
i would highly recommend u get 215/45 tires, unless u plan to roll your rear fenders, in which case u can fit the 225 tires no problem. Many Many people have 225/45, and all the ones i have seen on a saab have the outside edge of the tire completely chewed up.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
NC man said:
I meant to ask in the original post if there is a noticeable difference in ride quality moving up in wheel size?
There is a difference, but its hard to describe. Basically the sidewall of the tire absorbs the smallest bumps that don't make it up into the suspension components. When you have the lower sidewall tires, this does not happen. So you tend to feel little bumps more.

But this is a small price to pay for much sharper steering response, and better feel when cornering.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That seem to be a reasonable tradeoff. If this is the case, i guess the car won't ride much different than it does now, because it has 205/50/16 on it presently. My previous car was a Chevy Lumina which had 225/60/16, and it rode much smoother. When I got the 9-3 I felt bumps and expansion joints in a few brigdes around here that never knew existed, but i'm used to it now.
I found a few wheels online today that I liked, so im going to the wheel shop tommorrow to see if any of these will fit. The first time I went in they had some wheels that came in the bolt pattern, but they were chrome, plus they just did'nt look like a wheel one would put on a european sports sedan. No offense to anyone who has chrome wheels on their Saab, but I just don't like chrome wheels on European cars. I dont know why. They just seem to takeway from a car's design instead of accentuate it. Just my oppinion.
wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I plan to upgrade to the Evo wheels soon. I am going to put snow tires on my current 16's, and put summer tires on the 17's. The 16's I have got a lot ofcurb rash from the previous owner.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My stock wheels have alot of curb rash too. Thats one of the major reason I want to upgrade ther wheels. It looks so bad.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
ricot83 said:
Many people have 225/45, and all the ones i have seen on a saab have the outside edge of the tire completely chewed up.
Mine are fine. It just depends on what rear bumper you have and how it's modified. The Viggen rear bumper is fine as is, but the NG900 and regular 9-3 bumpers need to have some plastic trimmed.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
NC man said:
My stock wheels have alot of curb rash too. Thats one of the major reason I want to upgrade ther wheels. It looks so bad.
Yeah, it starts to make me think a woman drove the car prior :p , but being that it is manual tranny, that can't be the case...heh

My wife's car is a 2004 with nice 17" rims on it stock, and she curbed the hell out of them already, I just try not to look at it.

One thing I have always done is been careful when I was parking my car to avoid nicking the wheels. On my old VW GTI I nicked the left front rim once because of this rediculously narrow exit from a bank drive through that ran the curb out much further than one would expect, I went to turn out and nicked it.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Jeremy R. said:
Mine are fine. It just depends on what rear bumper you have and how it's modified. The Viggen rear bumper is fine as is, but the NG900 and regular 9-3 bumpers need to have some plastic trimmed.
My rear tires are not chewed up at all and I have a lowered car with no modifications to the fenders of bumper around the wheelwell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts