SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so the bug finally bit me, and I am preparing to work on some mods. Starting slow (and with necessary stuff... We will get to the fun parts in the Spring :cheesy: ) my first necessity is a replacement for my wheels; as 3 are bent.

I have the wife agreeing to a new set of winter rims, and my GOOD replacements in the spring with some summer tires. So on winter rubber:
  • What are some good tires to get? Please keep in mind anything I get needs to have reasonable treadwear. I put an average of 600+ miles a week on my car in commuting. While I know Blizzaks are excellent winter wear for our cars, I also believe they last about 12000-15000 miles tops before replacements? if so they would likely only make it 1 winter for me, and that is unacceptable :cry: I need some suggestions that will still work well for Ice, light snow and slush; with mainly dry or wet weather and cold temps. I am in the D.C area, so average mid-atlantic winters pretty much. My current thought is a set of These here; decent traction and treadwear at a reasonable pice. I would love some input on if they are any good, or comparable sets as well.
  • Should I stick with 15 incher's, or go to 16's? The price really isn't an issue, 16's are only about $100 higher; but i am wondering if it is worth it? To me the look is better but not a huge enough difference really so I am not sure.
  • How about Steel or Alloy? Any thoughts there? I prefer alloy on GP; but since these are just for winter does it really add anything? Again, price is not an issue, just looking for opinions for or against. ;)
OK, on to the Summer fun:
  • My current rims are great (I love the look of these over any other Saab wheel) but the D.C. roads have given them a real beating... I know 2 are bent, and I am pretty sure it is now 3. I was considering having them repaired/refinished, but the price seems prohibitive... Anyone know of a place to do this that won't cost me as much as a new wheel or more? As I said I love these wheels, but if it will cost me that much I will just get a new set of rims that will hold up better (I hope).
  • Assuming I cannot repair them for reasonable cost, will 18" rims and tires fit our cars well? How about once lowered? I would like to go to 18s for the improvements in look and performance, but not if i cannot lower my car this spring. If they do fit, what size tire is good with them? 215/40/18? 225? Just planning ahead, so I can search for my new wheels quickly :cheesy:
  • Last, what tire recommendations are there? Again, I am looking for the best possible performance in a tire that will wear long enough for at least 2 summers... 8 months of the year at about 2500 miles a month wears a tire out fast, so good performers in all categories would be best. I can manage a new set every two years, but I think my wife would kill me if I started replacing them yearly...:lol:
Thanks for the help in any and all questions, or even just your opinions on any of this.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Dunno about brand but i'm seriously considering keeping my 16's for winter use and putting some wet weather tyres on, then stick some really nice Summer tyres or road legal semi slicks on the 17's. Toyo R8's or Proxies.

The 16's are a little more forgiving when it comes to curb damage, as i constantly get my wing mirror knocked off on the street i park i tend to park as close to the curb as possible, which usually results in the tyres rubbing the curb, defo not want to rub the curb with the 17's as they've got alot less tyre to protect them!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
99Saabnut said:
OK, so the bug finally bit me, and I am preparing to work on some mods. Starting slow (and with necessary stuff... We will get to the fun parts in the Spring :cheesy: ) my first necessity is a replacement for my wheels; as 3 are bent.

I have the wife agreeing to a new set of winter rims, and my GOOD replacements in the spring with some summer tires. So on winter rubber:
  • What are some good tires to get? Please keep in mind anything I get needs to have reasonable treadwear. I put an average of 600+ miles a week on my car in commuting. While I know Blizzaks are excellent winter wear for our cars, I also believe they last about 12000-15000 miles tops before replacements? if so they would likely only make it 1 winter for me, and that is unacceptable :cry: I need some suggestions that will still work well for Ice, light snow and slush; with mainly dry or wet weather and cold temps. I am in the D.C area, so average mid-atlantic winters pretty much. My current thought is a set of These here; decent traction and treadwear at a reasonable pice. I would love some input on if they are any good, or comparable sets as well.
  • Should I stick with 15 incher's, or go to 16's? The price really isn't an issue, 16's are only about $100 higher; but i am wondering if it is worth it? To me the look is better but not a huge enough difference really so I am not sure.
  • How about Steel or Alloy? Any thoughts there? I prefer alloy on GP; but since these are just for winter does it really add anything? Again, price is not an issue, just looking for opinions for or against. ;)
OK, on to the Summer fun:
  • My current rims are great (I love the look of these over any other Saab wheel) but the D.C. roads have given them a real beating... I know 2 are bent, and I am pretty sure it is now 3. I was considering having them repaired/refinished, but the price seems prohibitive... Anyone know of a place to do this that won't cost me as much as a new wheel or more? As I said I love these wheels, but if it will cost me that much I will just get a new set of rims that will hold up better (I hope).
  • Assuming I cannot repair them for reasonable cost, will 18" rims and tires fit our cars well? How about once lowered? I would like to go to 18s for the improvements in look and performance, but not if i cannot lower my car this spring. If they do fit, what size tire is good with them? 215/40/18? 225? Just planning ahead, so I can search for my new wheels quickly :cheesy:
  • Last, what tire recommendations are there? Again, I am looking for the best possible performance in a tire that will wear long enough for at least 2 summers... 8 months of the year at about 2500 miles a month wears a tire out fast, so good performers in all categories would be best. I can manage a new set every two years, but I think my wife would kill me if I started replacing them yearly...:lol:
Thanks for the help in any and all questions, or even just your opinions on any of this.
As you're probably aware, the softer the rubber, the better performance, unfortunately that also means they wear out faster, so you're going to need to find a middle ground for the summer tires.

As for 18" rims, I believe I've seen people with them, but you need to run lower profile tires if you're going to go that big, 19s I've been told are too big.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My experience - 18" wheels on these cars are problematic for a number of reasons. They bend easily, they weigh more and have more mass at the rim so acceleration and braking is compromised and for the same reason they are difficult to get balanced and these cars are so, so sensitive to less than perfect wheel balance (and rim true). The short sidewall will also hugley compromise comfort and the neccesity to run a wider tread width will quite possibly induce tramlining but this may also be tyre related. So IMO 18" are only for show but may be good for the track where comfort is not a factor and minimum tyre deflection under lateral forces is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts