SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a set of ronal 16x7.5 wheels, with bfgoodrich 225/50/r16 on them. my problem is whenever i have four or more people in the car the tires will rub when i hit a bump:evil:

I cut the part out of the fender well where i was hitting and it got a lot better, but my problem is i wanted to lower the car and this makes it a large issue

ANY IDEAS

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have the same size ronal rims and the same size tires, I only have an issue if I cut the car really hard in reverse.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Do you know the offset of your rims? Are your rear shocks in good shape? Is your car a coupe or 4-door?

I have 17's and my car (4-door) is lowered and I get very bad rubbing with passengers in the car too. Even just by myself sometimes when I hit a bump the right way. However, I am pretty sure that the tires I have are at fault: 225/45/17. Maybe the 225 width is just too much for our cars...

The only solution I have been given that would be easy to do is to take an angle grinder to the inside of the wheel well where the tire is hitting and trim it back to the welds (about 1/4") to make more room for wheel travel. Have to say though, I am not nuts about this idea and haven't done it to my car... yet.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i get the same thing over real hard bumps and its emphazized when there are people in the back seat. I am lowered, with koni adjustables so its not to bad, but it can get very anoying, Im thinking of the anglegrinder idea as well, or somehow try to gently roll in the section where it catches the metal

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
That is correct tweek.

I have 225/45/17 and have no issues under weight. Not that I don't have rubbing, but its only in the front and it hits the part of the lower strut.

To do some math would also include some metric to standard conversions. But basically the overall diameter is what we need to know.

So you have 50% of 225. I have 45% of 225. These numbers are 112.5 and 101.25 repectively. So your overal diameter is 16 inches plus 2x112.5. Mine is 17 inches plus 2x101.25. Now if I remember correctly the conversion is 2.54 cm=1 in. So your wheel diameter is 40.64 cm. Mine is 43.18cm. Convert to mm, yours is 406.4 and mine is 431.8. Now add this wheel diameter to twice the sidewall. Yours is 631.4mm. Mine is 634.3.

So why don't I have rubbing issues? Beats me. I have it lowered with Eibachs and I have Bilsteins that are hard as rocks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well it has a large offset not sure what the measure is, it is a four door and seems to be in great shape with the shocks, but look stock

I STARTED CUTTING THEM OUT AND IT HELPS

"I have 17's and my car (4-door) is lowered and I get very bad rubbing with passengers in the car too. Even just by myself sometimes when I hit a bump the right way. However, I am pretty sure that the tires I have are at fault: 225/45/17. Maybe the 225 width is just too much for our cars...

The only solution I have been given that would be easy to do is to take an angle grinder to the inside of the wheel well where the tire is hitting and trim it back to the welds (about 1/4") to make more room for wheel travel. Have to say though, I am not nuts about this idea and haven't done it to my car... yet.[/QUOTE]"

·
Registered
180 Posts
Same Problem

i have noticed the same problem , i run on 18 inch BBS rx's .
i use michelin pilot 225 40 18 tyres and i notice if i go over a dip and the car bounces the rear wheels catch the arches too . and i use Koni sports adjustable shocks set to quite hard aswell !!

i have also recently noticed an update to abbott racings website , they have introduced some newer progressive style springs to suit 18 '' wheels , maybe these are the product for you ? i dont know whether or not they are stiffer or what but , who knows ?

:roll:

·
Registered
180 Posts
oh i forgot

you could always take the advice of a dumbkopf i know and simply put 3 heavy fellas in the back of your car for a day and allow the tyres to rub away a nice neat clearance gap ?

i know , i did say he was a dumbkopf !;oops:

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
All of you are rubbing?!?!? :eek: And you still all think 17 and 18+ inch tires are a good thing?!?! :roll:
Give me my plain old ordinary 16 inch tires any day. Already lowered and never a rub.

·
Registered
330 Posts
wow al this rubbing talk has got me worried, i have not have a full car since i put the wheels on, but i will have in two weeks as the family is coming over to visit. Somthing that was confusing me was about the diameter of the wheels, when i ordered the tires, i ordered 215/45 17's but the guy told me that was the wrong size for my car and i needed 215/40 17's. Which i now have installed, so which one is correct? also would the difference in wheel diameters effect the speedo reading?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks PMI thats a useful little tool, so the guy was right it seems as my current set up with the 215/40 17's are 1.8% too fast = 60 on speedo is really 58.9
However if i had got the 215/45 17's i would be 1.7% too slow, meaning that 60 on the speedo is really 61mph

·
Registered
418 Posts
The ideal tire size with no speedo error going from a Saab 16" rim to a 17" rim is 225/40/17. Good luck finding more than one manufacturer of that size! I forget who that is, but I know they are for sale on TireRack.com.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
i am lowered and have 17" rims... NO RUBBING.... I am installing some spacers on the rear also and still dont think i will rub.... 215/45/17 tires

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I can't verify this, but I swear the rubbing is worse on 900's than 9-3's. And getting a 215 rather than a 225 sure seems to help. My next set of tires will be 215 as I have the 225 now.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ditto. What he said.

stromer said:
I can't verify this, but I swear the rubbing is worse on 900's than 9-3's. And getting a 215 rather than a 225 sure seems to help. My next set of tires will be 215 as I have the 225 now.

·
Registered
591 Posts
225 are for 9-5's, not our cars. I have 215/45/17 and no rubbing. Imagine buying an Aero with stock 17's which are rubbing :eek::eek:... they won't if they are 215.
BTW, BLUE 9-3se I saw that picture from your avatar on a different thread, are those BF Goodrich? One of the best looking patterns I ever saw on tire!:cool:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Marquis de Saab said:
BTW, BLUE 9-3se I saw that picture from your avatar on a different thread, are those BF Goodrich? One of the best looking patterns I ever saw on tire!:cool:
Yep, BFGoodrich g/Force T/A KDW 2's. They have been excellent in handling in wet and dry weather. They are slightly louder than my old Yokohama's, but they outperform them in every aspect. Well worth a little noise!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts