SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just can't keep my hands off of any car I get.
1. Want to lower car, not really much for performance, so no coilovers on this car.
2. Want 18" 10-15 spoke wheels since I wont be upgrading brakes

So my questions are, which suspension mods do you all suggest so it is lowered, yet still able to achieve STOCK ALIGNMENT SETTINGS. This is a must for this car. Can the car be lowered and still align properly? My Audi could not replace/adjust a setting on the front which caused cupping of the front tires quickly. Also suggest camber shims if needed.

Next, does Saab make any 18" variants of the stock wheels, or any other high spoke count wheels that will fit flush? I hear 18x8 +35 is a fairly good fit... I am used to rubbing in my other cars, but I would like to keep this car fairly comfortable for ride...my wife doesn't like when my tires rub, lol, she screams every time. Also for the wheels, I am looking for a used set, $300-350 would be my ideal number to spend, $400-450 with good tires.

I've put together a few quick photochops to show what I am looking for. (in addition to my Aero front lip spoiler that I ordered last week.)

Stock:

Lowered, wheels expanded to 18":

Made door handles Black, tinted fogs yellow, and tinted side turn signal, also painted the wheels a gunmetal/gray....didnt work well on this because I accidentally saved the file at the wrong time:

So please share your suggestions for suspension and wheel mods. I also like these 15 spoke wheels by Enkei, just too pricey:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
your gonna need coilovers to get that low, but if you're not willing to go with them, most people do the koni yellow package.

package: http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=44_46&products_id=503
whole suspension section: http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=44_46

as for the wheels, i know these are just shops, but you wont find those stock 10 spokes any bigger than the 16's you currently have. there are 18'' wheels, but you're not going to find a set for under $450, more like $450 a wheel, if that.

and for things to do until you get those upgrades, i would clean up your door handles, plasti dip your side makers (both the clear ones and the orange ones), plasti dip your grill, get some chrome indicator bulbs and instead of the foglight tint, just go with 2500K 55w Bulbs

found here:http://www.amazon.com/Nokya-H3-Headlight-Bulbs-Yellow/dp/B0010XPA2E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1347772426&sr=8-5&keywords=nokya+2500+55w+h3

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anything else needed to properly align the car to within stock specs? if I lower it? I was fairly low on my Audi with just Bilstein struts and Neuspeed springs. I would be happy with that height on the Saab. Looks like they offer 40mm springs on that site you listed. I will have to measure tomorrow.

are my wheel sizing assumptions correct for a flush fitment?

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
just fyi Genuine saab sucks so be careful ordering from them.

as for wheels you will find 16s in that price range, maybe some crappy 17's. there are not many 18in oe variants made in fact i think besides turbox wheels and the 2011 limited edition there are none in the us, besides what might be imported. anything 18in will have to be aftermarket, my suggestion is to just stick with 17's instead, cheaper tires and cheaper wheels. if you want to look into 18s you can check out cobalt ss wheels both oe wheels on the turbo and sc are 18's and the turbo wheels are pretty but they cost as much as getting a decent set of aftermarkets.

17's can look good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I may consider 17s also, as the tires are quite a bit cheaper and ride comfort is better. I notice on the car you posted that it is lowered...I assume coilovers were used on this setup, and that it is fairly cambered in. Do you know what your camber/alignment settings are, and if there are any aftermarket options as far as suspension components aside from just the struts/springs/coils? Upper control arms, toe rods, camber shim? anything? I have pretty much every suspension component changed out for aftermarket on one of my other cars, but there doesn't seem to be a large aftermarket for Saabs

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, anybody know how much the stock 16's weigh? I'd like to shave off some weight from the wheel/tire combo if possible.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Thanks, I may consider 17s also, as the tires are quite a bit cheaper and ride comfort is better. I notice on the car you posted that it is lowered...I assume coilovers were used on this setup, and that it is fairly cambered in. Do you know what your camber/alignment settings are, and if there are any aftermarket options as far as suspension components aside from just the struts/springs/coils? Upper control arms, toe rods, camber shim? anything? I have pretty much every suspension component changed out for aftermarket on one of my other cars, but there doesn't seem to be a large aftermarket for Saabs
d2 coils
the rear is 2.6 at normal ride height, thats because i do not have a camber kit for it. The front is within range of oe for normal height which is about -1, but of course when i lower the car it goes in farther and i couldn't tell you how much because i do not drive like that often because you break axles.

as for suspension you can get coils from kw or ebay manufactures, there are bushing you can buy for the lower control arms, and if you want you can upgrade to larger OE swaybars but they are hard to come by. you can also waste your money on strut braces and chassis braces that do nothing, but some people on here "swear by them". And of course you can get springs and struts.

Also, anybody know how much the stock 16's weigh? I'd like to shave off some weight from the wheel/tire combo if possible.
stock 16's are gonna be lighter, the lightest wheel i know of (and ive had alot of oe) was my aero twin spokes (the first image), i think they weighted in at around 21 lbs. Most of the rest of the oe wheels are going to be in the same range. if you want light wheels look at sparco assetto gara's they are the cheapest light wheel you can buy, but after that your gonna have to spend money on a set of oz's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I hacked up some more photos again just to get an idea of what the springs would drop it. I measured and it seems that the stock height has 40mm of gap on the rear tires and 55mm of gap on the front tires. So hopefully if the 40mm Vogtlands are enough for me. I hear there are camber shim kits for the front and that the stock Eccentric bolt on the rear is adjustable enough to get within stock specs. I also played around with wheel sizing....I won't be happy with 17's...it must be 18's if I am going to spend the money on new wheels I just want to be happy with it.

Kind of amazing what some simple free photo editing software can transform a bland looking stock 9-3 into something more desireable. Just washed her today and felt the obligatory picture bug bite me.

Stock on 16's:

Lowered 35mm on 16's:

Then with 17's:

Then I really started to like it...40mm drop with 18's, and tint:

Same, 40mm drop with 19s:

I would have to draw the line at 19's. That is what is on the Audi, but 18's should work out better for the daily use, and why not cartoon it up.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think on this car 18 is the best compromise between looks, performance and comfort.
I had some 19s borrowed for a while and didn't like them much. Only thing nice was they had more grip for launching but... they were heavier and in the end the 0-60 times were slower, not to mention the handling was crap and going over a bump was just painful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts