SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a full wheel alignment done last year. I just replaced the lower control arms. Does the alignment need to be checked again? I want to save the $70!Would appreciate your considered opinions please. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yes you should definately have the front wheel alignment checked. Replaceing the control arms are a major component that affects wheel alignment.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes; you are right of course. Penny wise and pound foolish (or whatever the currency conversion is over here);)! It will have to be the Saab's Christmas present!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
wonkyhamster said:
I had a full wheel alignment done last year. I just replaced the lower control arms. Does the alignment need to be checked again? I want to save the $70!Would appreciate your considered opinions please. Thanks.
The only thing adjustable up front is the tie rod ends (toe-in) for the alignment.... to the best of my knowledge...

How bad were the old control arms - the joints ??
How well does she handle ??

None of my Saabs have ever had an alighment and the tire wear was average.. But then, these had the old stronger front end..
At one time, Tire America (now under a new,different name) was doing free alignment measurements - probably every car was off a tiny bit...to adjust, the price was the normal one..

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
earthworm said:
The only thing adjustable up front is the tie rod ends (toe-in) for the alignment.... to the best of my knowledge...

How bad were the old control arms - the joints ??
How well does she handle ??
Yes; the only adjustment up front is the tie rods. The ball joints had quite a lot of slack and I think the control arm stanchion bushings were very tired as well. Before I changed the control arms the car would tramline and was not very stable in windy conditions. Surface irregularities would make the steering kick. Also it needed a lot a concentration when travelling at speed and had light steering which needed constant correction. Today was the first real opportunity to test it and the improvement is considerable, even though I just had the snow tires fitted this weekend which tends to impair the handling. All in all I am very pleased:cheesy:. By the way, I fitted Febi/Bilstein parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts