SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the intermediary driveshaft and the vibration issue almost disappeared, but sometimes I can still feel it at speed of 100-130km/h

I don't know if I must blame the retaining bearing that I didn't changed because I like to do something twice

OR

I should take the car for a wheel alignment? Is it normal after changing the driveshaft?

Considering my bad luck, I guess it's the bearing, what do you think?

·
Registered
346 Posts
hashwood said:
I replaced the intermediary driveshaft and the vibration issue almost disappeared, but sometimes I can still feel it at speed of 100-130km/h

I don't know if I must blame the retaining bearing that I didn't changed because I like to do something twice

OR

I should take the car for a wheel alignment? Is it normal after changing the driveshaft?

Considering my bad luck, I guess it's the bearing, what do you think?
vibration is not caused by wheel alignment.... wheel alignment is if your steering is off or uneven tyre wear etc etc...

1) As you have had the drive shaft replacent and been tinkering with steering parts i would tend to get it done so uneven tyre wear does not happen.

2) i would be getting your wheels balanced properly as this could be causing the vibration

3) is the vibration thru the hole car or the steering wheel (if u get what i mean)???

hope this helps

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
No - you don't need an alignment doing but if you have not had it done for as while it's worthwhile getting it checked to save your tyres.Vibration at that speed is highly likely to be a wheel balance issue - these cars are hyper sensitive to even the slightest imperfection in balancing.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
That driveshaft must have been bent, causing vibrations and the shimmy.

No machine shops that can straighten and true a driveshaft ??

I just do not know, myself; I've never had any trouble in this area..Never replaced any driveshafts on a VW or a Saab..
CV joints are another story...
Its bearing should have been replaced, I'd think it would have been severely worn...
Alignment ?
How well does the car track ?
Can you do a precise measurement on the tires ?
Or, how well are they wearing ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies

I did the alignment about two or three months ago.

The wheels were balanced last week.

"3) is the vibration thru the hole car or the steering wheel (if u get what i mean)???"

I think I know what I mean. It was also strange to me, it's like the vibration feels more in the steering wheel.

Something strange also (and I don't know exactly how to say it in English so I must detail):

when I drive on a road in forward position (no steering, over 100km/h) and I take the hands off my wheels, before changing the interdrivesh, the car goes a little right. After doing the repair, now the car goes left.

I think this is clear an alignment problem, but this is not the annoying part, I hate the vibration, even at a very low point.

The tires are like new; I guess they are three months old. I also did rectify my alloy wheels, to be like new. .

How well does the car track ?”

I think track is the word that describes what I detailed above.

“That driveshaft must have been bent, causing vibrations and the shimmy.”

I really don’t think it’s the case. As I said, I just replaced the intermediary driveshaft, that’s the longest one. I didn’t use OEM, I purchased it from saabsite.com, and it looked really good.

“Its bearing should have been replaced, I'd think it would have been severely worn...”

It was a little noisy, but not much. The car has 170k km.

So the point is that alignment can’t cause vibration issues? If that’s correct then I must go on that road again, and chance the bearing. At least I know the road J

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds to me like an out-of-balance shaft...

·
Registered
346 Posts
fromero said:
Sounds to me like an out-of-balance shaft...
after reading the long coment left i would say the same but i would get the wheels re-balanced 1st as it is the cheepest thing to do just eliminates one more thing that i could be.

'''So the point is that alignment can’t cause vibration issues?'''
that is correct also

“Its bearing should have been replaced, I'd think it would have been severely worn...”

''It was a little noisy, but not much. The car has 170k km. ''

hopefuly the bearing was changed and this is not the problem

can i just ask do did you do the work yourself???? and does is still vibrate under normal or hard braking??

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Out of Balance shaft? the one I changed or another one? Can a new intermediary driveshaft be out of balance, even if it's not OEM.

"hopefully the bearing was changed and this is not the problem "

I never changed the bearing, and as Haynes says it could cause vibration issues. I think the bearing is the problem, but I wanted to make sure if it can be the alignment or not. I guess next step it to change the bearing and I’ll see what's happening.

Haynes states:

Vibration when acceleration or decelerating:

-Worn inner constant velocity joint (maybe the left one but the boot kit is OK)

-Bent or distorted driveshaft (who knows that...)

-Worn Intermediate bearing (I think is the problem)

As I said before I did the wheel balance last week, I don't think it could be the problem. Before the vibration started, a while ago, I never had any problems like these.

Yes I changed the intermediary driveshaft myself, and I was very careful.

It never vibrated under normal or hard brake.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yes it is definately possible to get a driveshaft that is out of balance right from the factory, especially if you don't know what happened to it during transit, ie: maybe the parts delivery guy dropped it, threw it in the back of his truck, ect.

Vibration issues can be very challanging to diagnose, something so little can manifest itself in a big way by violently vibrating the vehicle, and for some reason its always evedent at highway speeds.

Have you considered and check other components? Inner and outer tie rods? Suspension bushings, ball joints, wheel bearings, wheel spindle, wheel rim, engine mounts, steering rack mounting bolts (are they tight?) ect.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, there is a small play in the steering rack. I'll also check if the bolts are properly tightened.
Suspension bushings, ball joints - they are old, and they started to make some sounds, when driving on roads with stones. They are really up on the list but right now I don't have the $ needed.
wheel bearings - I guess if they have issues, they manifest even at low speeds, and I can hear them a little. I have a friend who had wheel bearing problems at a BMW and I know the sound.
wheel rim - they are checked and straighten about two months ago.
engine mounts - one year old, I changed all mounts

Now, I can't tell for sure, maybe also because of the roads here in Romania which are not quite good, but I feel the vibration mainly when accelerating. When I switch in Neutral, it decreases a little. That's why I want to blame, something in the transmission.
The intermediary driveshaft was properly packed by saabsite.com, so I don't know if it suffered something during transit.
It's strange that no one says anything about the bearing? Am I that wrong? because one way or another I will change it. It was a little noisy, and when I took the int. driveshaft apart, I wanted to clean the supporting arm, and I used a little oil cleaning spray. I used it carefully, but maybe, it entered in the bearing destroying the grease inside.
Another thing that makes me blame the bearing is that I drove the car for some months with the driveshaft damaged. I didn't push it hard, but still the retaining bearing felt everything.

PS: I know that vibration issues are very hard to diagnose, I just want to make sure I know everything to check. The problem is that some items can be checked only by replacing

·
Registered
346 Posts
''It's strange that no one says anything about the bearing? Am I that wrong? because one way or another I will change it. It was a little noisy, and when I took the int. driveshaft apart, I wanted to clean the supporting arm, and I used a little oil cleaning spray. I used it carefully, but maybe, it entered in the bearing destroying the grease inside.
Another thing that makes me blame the bearing is that I drove the car for some months with the driveshaft damaged. I didn't push it hard, but still the retaining bearing felt everything.''

now that u have said you wear driving it for a while when the driveshaft was broken i would suspect the wheel bearing thru movement of the broken shaft etc....

also if you have managed to get the cleaning spray into the bearing area and 'destroyed' the grease then it will be needing replacing anyway..

if you are just changing the bearing anyway let us no how it is afterwards plz

cheers

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
hashwood said:
Well, there is a small play in the steering rack. I'll also check if the bolts are properly tightened.
Suspension bushings, ball joints - they are old, and they started to make some sounds, when driving on roads with stones. They are really up on the list but right now I don't have the $ needed.
wheel bearings - I guess if they have issues, they manifest even at low speeds, and I can hear them a little. I have a friend who had wheel bearing problems at a BMW and I know the sound.
Now, I can't tell for sure, maybe also because of the roads here in Romania which are not quite good, but I feel the vibration mainly when accelerating. When I switch in Neutral, it decreases a little. That's why I want to blame, something in the transmission.
We'll as much as your wallet will let you, I don't think you're going to be able to completely solve this vibration problem, especially when you say that the steering rack has a little play in it, that's a bad sign. Without replacing all the components you stated above, you're gonna have vibration, especially on a 10+ year old car, combined with crappy roads in your country... very difficult to solve this one.

If you can get to one, I'd say your best bet is to put the car on a Dyno and drive it up to highway speeds and see if the vibration becomes present while the vehicle is driving on the dyno, and you can observe from underneath (carefully) what might be vibrating. Moreover, with the car on a Dyno if it has a tendency to pull to one side, or wants to wander left to right on the dyno you'll know there is definately a suspension problem or a tire/rim problem, alignment, ect, that is if you can get to a dyno.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
first of all it's not ten years old, just six. it was made in 2001
A Dyno is a great idea, I should do it. There are some Dynos here, don't know how good they are but I can try.
I know that I must change all the suspension, and I'll do it soon, not just for vibration issues, but because the components are old, and 170k km is LOTS.

I just ordered the bearing from saabsite.com, not to be tempted to change my mind. My rush in changing it is also related to the new intermediary driveshaft. If I ruined the bearing for not changing the driveshaft timely, I don't want to ruin the driveshaft for not changing the bearing. My mistake was that I didn't change it from the beginning.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
after this much time, here are the updates. I didn’t change the int driveshaft bearing, I have it but it's too much work for now.

To be honest I'm starting to blame mostly the wheels. After the tire change, from winter to summer (two weeks ago) I made some changes at the alloy wheels (front to back) and the vibration almost is gone.

I still feel something, but the car has the suspension very old. (111k miles, 7years)

One way or another, the replaced intermediary driveshaft seems OK.

Thanks again for all your help, I will update as soon as I make more replacements, which will ease the vibration.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
After a lot of fruitless screwing around checking and swapping driveshafts, trying to track down my steering wheel shimmy, it ended up being bent road wheels.

It is finally dawning on me how extremely sensitive this car is to out-of-balance wheels, bent wheels, and defective tires. It takes very little...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts