SaabCentral Forums banner

What's this called and how do I find a replacement?

449 16
Hey all.
Just decided to NOT sell my '08 9-3 6-sp combo, and keep it forever. So I'm starting by replacing all the faded trim and plastic that's been sun blasted over the years. Any one know (a) what this is called and (b) how do I find a replacement?
thanks.
Barry
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire
Reactions: Paul Woodward
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
536 Posts
What's that? oooOOOOoooo! :whistle: Cool. I'm definitely trying this out. Thanks for the tip. https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/aerosol-colors
Better try any dip spray on something similar which could be scrapped if it doesn't live up to your expectations first - I had used a plastidip spray (not the cheapest) according to the instructions on a set of rims and the result was more than underwhelming. Not only that it was nearly impossible to remove the brake dust (against the claim of the seller) making them look like never being cleaned since production, it took me a whole weekend to peel of that super hit in technology (short: S.H.I.T.) against the claim of the seller that it would be easy to remove again.

· Registered
536 Posts
Like I've mentioned I went after the instructions, including the topcoat. Over here that stuff was hip for a short time but its popularity waned soon again, so I surmise that I wasn't the only one experiencing that plastidips did not live up to the promises.

· Registered
536 Posts
The top coat was provided by the same company which had made the plastidip (can't recall the name, but they do also manufacture ordinary car paint). Went with all the procedures as required by them - cleaning the rims with isopropane alcohol, then applied primer, the plastidip and their topcoat. Took me three days.
When I tried to clean the rims for the first time with a mild water/soap solution, the brake dust stuck to the coating like s**t on a bedsheet and when I rubbed a little harder with a microfiber cloth, the dip on the outer rim edges came off. Wish that it came off that easy from the rest of the rims, too...

(Don't know if it's sold in the NA region too, but one of the best known brands over here, Foliatec (not used by me), garnered mixed to negative reactions for their plastidips.)

I had tried plastidip from another manufacturer with the sliders of my wife's Suzi. That was more like it, but if I had to touch up parts like these again I would give them to a shop for getting them powder coated or professionally lacquered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts