SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Saab/9_3/

Anybody know about this? $70 upgrade? Very few details.

I am considering a Stage 1 upgrade for a 2008 Aero V6. Would like the interchangeability of getting the OBD download but an ECU flash is more affordable. I thought this site was a place ot by a second ECU. Can you buy an ECU? Where and how much?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
(facepalm at products like this)

it's fake man, it won't do ****. get a real tune from jzw

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Snake oil.

Get tuned from a reputable tuner.

The V6 tuners in order of time on the market: BSR, Vtuner, Maptun, then JZW.
The first 3 have been tuning the V6 for almost 5 years and lots of tuned cars on the road.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Snake oil.

Get tuned from a reputable tuner.

The V6 tuners in order of time on the market: BSR, Vtuner, Maptun, then JZW.
The first 3 have been tuning the V6 for almost 5 years and lots of tuned cars on the road.
if he has a 2004 aero it is a 4 cyl

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reread the post
He said he was looking for a stage 1 for a 2008 Aero :lol:
I wasn't clear. Just bought a 2008 Aero SC, willing the 2004 Aero to my son. He is not a car guy (so far) and the 220 HP 2.0T is plenty for him. Me on the other hand..... more is better;ol;

Thanks to everyone, you confirmed my concerns. I will go with one of the established tuners for sure.

Because of my concerns about too much torque and an automatic I will probably go mild Stage 1.

If sending an ECU in is $400 and the OBD device is $700-900, how much is a second ECU and is it hard to change back and forth. I have changed my own plugs and done a window regulator but that's about it for me nowadays.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Reread the post
He said he was looking for a stage 1 for a 2008 Aero :lol:
haha damn my speed reading :cheesy:

after i posted that i was thinking that it might have been op that just bought that nice new aero ;ol;

·
Registered
82 Posts
If sending an ECU in is $400 and the OBD device is $700-900, how much is a second ECU and is it hard to change back and forth. I have changed my own plugs and done a window regulator but that's about it for me nowadays.
Vtuner sends you a device with both the stock file and the tune file so that you can switch back and forth at your own hearts content. You just flip a switch on the outside of the unit, one way for stock, one way for tune.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Vtuner sends you a device with both the stock file and the tune file so that you can switch back and forth at your own hearts content. You just flip a switch on the outside of the unit, one way for stock, one way for tune.
Thats not how it works with my vtuner. Very easy, but more then just flipping a switch.

Is the T8 ppc different then the ones for the v6?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thats not how it works with my vtuner. Very easy, but more then just flipping a switch.

Is the T8 ppc different then the ones for the v6?
I appologize, I was assuming my install was the same as the others -

This is the T8 Install procedure, so you can compare if you like. Again I appologize for speaking to the Aero, the below proceedure sounds like it's different to the Aero.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I wasn't clear. Just bought a 2008 Aero SC, willing the 2004 Aero to my son. He is not a car guy (so far) and the 220 HP 2.0T is plenty for him. Me on the other hand..... more is better;ol;

Thanks to everyone, you confirmed my concerns. I will go with one of the established tuners for sure.

Because of my concerns about too much torque and an automatic I will probably go mild Stage 1.

I recommend NOT doing the send in ECU thing--too much of a PITA and you can't go back to stock. Remember you have 5 years/100,000 mi. on the powertrain. If you were local to the tuner that would be fine.

Vtuner is a custom tune via HPTuners using your own laptop. BSR and Maptun use a handheld PPC (personal portable computer, or something like that) that holds a stock file and tuned file. Takes about 60 seconds to go from either stock or tune and back--very convenient.

So Zin you have a new project for you new car to look forward to;ol;

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recommend NOT doing the send in ECU thing--too much of a PITA and you can't go back to stock. Remember you have 5 years/100,000 mi. on the powertrain. If you were local to the tuner that would be fine.

So Zin you have a new project for you new car to look forward to;ol;

Lot of miles left on warranty, but 5 years runs out in March 2013.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seriously lol?
I'm a little brain dead today but I don't understand your comment.
It's 5 years of 100K miles, right? Well 5 years runs out soon but almost 68,000 miles to go to 100,000

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm a little brain dead today but I don't understand your comment.
It's 5 years of 100K miles, right? Well 5 years runs out soon but almost 68,000 miles to go to 100,000
He was referring to the original post.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now you know it's not worth buying. Some of these rude comments aren't needed.

Just go with a Vtune or JZW.
Agreed. Usually this is a respectful forum but once in a while.........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts