SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think 215 is the widest without modification I think 225s have had some people get rubbing issues but they have solved it by rolling the fenders.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you check on the manufacturer's website there's a spec for minimum rim size and recommended rim size. The rims you have are 6" wide. I think the widest tire that will work is 225/50. I'm not sure, but it might not look good since the sidewall will be bent in to the rim. 225's are possible without rolling the fender (I'm running 225's) but there are some small modification you need to make. I think there's a guide on genuinesaab.com

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
does anyone know what the widest tire I can fit fit on my stock 16in rims? I have these ones http://www.pic2fly.com/viewimage/16...y93MTYxL3JldHJpYnV0aW9uXzA2L0lNR18zNzUwLmpwZw

I have 205 55 16 on there right now but would like to go wider 215 or 225 if theyd fit but I doubt it. Also I want to get a nice set of summer tires, anyone got any good ones theyd suggest?
I assume your car isn't lowered. Depends on how hard you corner. 215/55-16s will fit and clear everything, however on a hard corner your fuel filler is likely to get worn away. There may be a bit of intereference in the front during a full-lock turn, but it's not bad.

225/50 will probably clear everything if you're standing still or rolling down a smooth flat straight road. Again, the fuel filler neck will likely be the first to go if you actually use the extra traction of the wider tires to go around corners faster.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im not lowered, I do have bilsteins all around. Also I was just probably planning on putting these wider tires on the front. I do sometimes like to take corners hard but mainly I just like to rip it on a straight away and want a lil more room for gripping.

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
im not lowered, I do have bilsteins all around. Also I was just probably planning on putting these wider tires on the front. I do sometimes like to take corners hard but mainly I just like to rip it on a straight away and want a lil more room for gripping.
One correction: I don't know how the front struts are set up on a 9-3. 225s will clear a 900s struts no problem.

You should poke around your car and see what the current gaps and pinch points are. Fortunately, on the front if the tire clears the strut just sitting there, I would figure that it's fine in motion. The fender lips are more likely to come into contact at certain wheel angles.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
One correction: I don't know how the front struts are set up on a 9-3. 225s will clear a 900s struts no problem.

You should poke around your car and see what the current gaps and pinch points are. Fortunately, on the front if the tire clears the strut just sitting there, I would figure that it's fine in motion. The fender lips are more likely to come into contact at certain wheel angles.
Generally your theory is true. However, when you are cornering at high speed, the tire is being distorted to one side fairly heavily due to sidewall flex at the contact patch. Because of the high speed of rotation, the tire doesn't have enough time to flex back to vertical before it reaches the strut. So, you do need a bit of clearance there - not a lot though, and the body movement is usually the primary concern.

Note to the OP: a 225 has a higher sidewall and therefore more flex. It won't corner any better and may be worse. Choose a quality tire with a stiff sidewall. The contact patch is a little wider - that would potentially help with grip a little.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to get some drag radials for my stock rims, I want 225 if they fit fine or 215 dont care on the side wall height, does anyone know of any goods ones that will fit on my stock rims?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts