SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Anecdote: today is the first day I've really driven in heat since replacing plugs and popping in the salvage yard MAF. No heatsoak issues. I'll likely swap the MAF back to the one the car had the last time it had heatsock issues to see if they return. FWIW, I cleaned both MAFs when I did the swap.

·
Registered
398 Posts
MAF was one of the first parts I changed when chasing my heatsoak issues. Brand new OEM one made no difference however.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mine "heat soaked" BAD yesterday. It's like it barely wanted to go at all from a standstill, and then at about 15-20 MPH it takes off like a rocket.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mine "heat soaked" BAD yesterday. It's like it barely wanted to go at all from a standstill, and then at about 15-20 MPH it takes off like a rocket.
Yep, those are the exact symptoms. Feels completely gutless from a stop, takes about 7-8 seconds to get to 20 mph, but acceleration at speed is closer to normal (though still down a little boost and hp)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That is what I experienced. So far with the new plugs and the salvage yard MAF it hasn't behaved that way.
It's such a tricky issue because it comes and goes. I haven't had it for like 2 years but it came back yesterday for some random reason.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I remember I had some heatsoak issues with 03 9-5 aero. I did a lot of stuff to the car, but I wanna say replacing the ECT sensor fixed it. Don't recall the problem coming back after that. This was in 100f+ SC weather. Replacing the exhaust made it feel like a new car too. Boosted more, reduced throttle delay, shifting at low rpms improved, better power, etc.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I remember I had some heatsoak issues with 03 9-5 aero. I did a lot of stuff to the car, but I wanna say replacing the ECT sensor fixed it. Don't recall the problem coming back after that. This was in 100f+ SC weather. Replacing the exhaust made it feel like a new car too. Boosted more, reduced throttle delay, shifting at low rpms improved, better power, etc.
I've replaced my coolant temp sensor and it hasn't seem to have made a difference. I do have a new exhaust, from the cat back. Did you replace your catalytic converter?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah it's a krona 3 catless turbo back.

But I did vac hoses, dic, plugs, pcv #6, boost leaks fixed (I think that did something too), o2 sensors, throttle body, evap check valve overhaul. None of those really did anything to fix the sluggishness.

One thing I do remember is when the car cooled down for a bit it drove fine until it got hot again. Drove like crap when that happened. Exhaust made the biggest difference as well as fixing my two boost leaks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had this issue last summer, as I believe I detailed on this forum. What ended up fixing it: a rebuild of the main harness ground by my trusty shop.

But that was the tip of the iceberg - I seemed to hit the perfect age and mileage where my car tested my loyalty and decided to break a lot of electrical systems on me. Within a year, I've needed both battery cables, a new boost control valve, a thorough ground cleaning, a new DICE, and a new MAF. Plus, my MIU's ambient light sensor decided to go, so I just had the shop pop a junkyard one in that I found.

But specifically regarding "heat soak"-like conditions (where the car wouldn't even touch boosting into the red on a warm engine)? That was the main ground for my dame. To be fair, I'm also running a Maptun XT intercooler, so I have fewer heat soak issues than your average dame - before then, I did have fairly consistent heatsoak in bad weather. Despite our car's king cobra intake pipe, I wouldn't be surprised if the 260hp tune from Saab was conservative and was sensitive to heat to keep EGTs low.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had this issue last summer, as I believe I detailed on this forum. What ended up fixing it: a rebuild of the main harness ground by my trusty shop.
I think I found and read the thread where you chronicled this, and it sounds like you had other weird/intermittent electrical symptoms, too. Is that correct?

·
Registered
878 Posts

But that was the tip of the iceberg - I seemed to hit the perfect age and mileage where my car tested my loyalty and decided to break a lot of electrical systems on me. Within a year, I've needed both battery cables, a new boost control valve, a thorough ground cleaning, a new DICE, and a new MAF. Plus, my MIU's ambient light sensor decided to go, so I just had the shop pop a junkyard one in that I found.

But specifically regarding "heat soak"-like conditions (where the car wouldn't even touch boosting into the red on a warm engine)? That was the main ground for my dame. To be fair, I'm also running a Maptun XT intercooler, so I have fewer heat soak issues than your average dame - before then, I did have fairly consistent heatsoak in bad weather. Despite our car's king cobra intake pipe, I wouldn't be surprised if the 260hp tune from Saab was conservative and was sensitive to heat to keep EGTs low.
What are your IATs compared to ambient temp with the maptun xt intercooler?

·
Registered
84 Posts
@cleeland - I did, but they were unrelated - they were due to a bad positive battery cable, a bad DICE, and a faulty MIU ambient light sensor. Beyond that, a full leak test of the vacuum and intake system (and then replacing some bad o-rings and a bad blowoff valve) helped a bit, too. But only achieving base boost was cured by a main ground rebuild.

@Nordic-Machine - MapTun had a chart where they detailed IAT compared to an unnamed competitor. They don't sell the intercooler anymore, so that chart has gone down - but it compared much more favorably to the competitor. And while I haven't taken my own readings, qualitatively, I can tell you that I've only felt the car pull power due to heat soak less than 10 times total in a year and a half of having the intercooler - and I drive aggressively and in DC traffic.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I had what I thought were slight heat soak issues but it didn't bother me enough to dig in and solve it. However, the other day I replaced the CPS. Haven't had any heat soak issues/hesitations/lack of power at all and for the first time I actually heard the fan running after the car was shut off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oh wow, interesting! CPS does manifest in odd symptoms due to all it controls - I did some reading on what the CPS triggers on WIS, and it’s pretty nuts - it also triggers the fuel pump on restarts, for instance...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts