SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like title says, what is the plastic clip coming from the driver's side A pillar to the windshield? I took the plastic parts off and that plastic piece just clips to the inside of the A pillar, nothing more.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
it has something to do with Ferry passes or Toll tag's or something like that. I saw one on a 9-5 here in Dallas at a meet and that's what he told us.

i can't remember the EXACT use.. im sure someone will chime in.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No no, its a piece of transparent plastic, that forms a clip from the A pillar to the windshield.

Has nothing to do with our toll tags

it has something to do with Ferry passes or Toll tag's or something like that. I saw one on a 9-5 here in Dallas at a meet and that's what he told us.

i can't remember the EXACT use.. im sure someone will chime in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Useless? No

It's placed there to annoy the heck out of you when you are cleaning your windshield.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you don't see it, you don't have it, it's quite obvious... most NA dealers remove them.
I have a big plastic clip under the central mirrow, but not at the driver's side A pillar :confused: Perhaps it's because the first owner but it there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Plastic clip

It's to keep the parking lot ticket that comes out of the automatic machine when you enter. It was on my previous MY 1994. But not on my current MY 2003. Otherwise you will loose it when it comes time to leave the lot and pay the attendent. Then you have to pay through the kazoo. I asked my dealer, and he told me its function. You ask your dealer to determine if he is on the ball.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
its to hold tags and stuff cuz some people have parking passes and its quite useful.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Never had a plastic clip on any of my 9-3s, and I'm from UK.
Would be interested to see pics of this clip.
I've seen them at my Dealer, coming off the drivers side (US) A-Pillar... perhaps they just dusted me off with a quick answer, actually they said Europe, not specifically UK, I thought you guys had some sort of Tax Disc or Holder. My Bad.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Yeah my gf's S60 has it. It's pretty ugly. Serves no purpose yet. I can understand if people have passes and stuff tho. Could use it without having to stick them to the windsheild. Here's a generic picture from a volvo:

Saabs is a clearer plastic clip.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Never had a plastic clip on any of my 9-3s, and I'm from UK.
Would be interested to see pics of this clip.
not got one on my 9-3 aero but wifey has one on her 9-3 aero vert, and they are both early 04 models

damed usefull for carpark tickets

·
Registered
290 Posts
Like title says, what is the plastic clip coming from the driver's side A pillar to the windshield? I took the plastic parts off and that plastic piece just clips to the inside of the A pillar, nothing more.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
I take it non of the responders have done much parking in Europe? Or Miami for that matter? The clip is for the ubiquitous Pay and Display parking system. You park your car, and instead of having one meter per parking space there is a single kiosk in the middle of the block or lot. You pay for X amount of time, and it spits out a ticket that must be easily visible in the car. That clip is to hold that ticket. Used everywhere in Europe, and I found it in use in Miami too. It's great in that the kiosks take credit cards - though of course this means they can make the parking really expensive more easily.

The later cars did away with the clip for fear of the curtain airbags flinging it into your forehead, but I retrofitted one to my car down low. I find it very convenient for parking garage tickets at the airport.

-Kevin

·
Registered
122 Posts
Had one on my 9-5. I always considered it a Saab quirk.

"What's that for?"
"Personality. My car is a beautiful and unique snowflake."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts