SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '03 9.3 linear and my two inner bulbs in each assembly would not turn on, ever. The bi-xenon works fine and is on all the time but honestly IMO its barely lighting anything at night so I use my fog lamps or high beam (which is just the bi-xenon shining brighter). I checked the bulbs and they are both fine. No SID codes or headlight malfunctions so I'm completely confused right now. I know they are supposed to work, I checked the fuses that the manual specified, even bought a WIS and I can't find any useful info on this.

Just last night I passed another 9-3 with the same issue. xenons on, and nothing else. First time I ever noticed that on another 9-3 and I realized how ugly that looks at night. It also made me wonder if these lights were just put in to fill space rather than to actually work lol. Does anyone know how to get these lights on? Do I need a T2 to program it or something? I know its not a big issue but it just bugs the hell out of me when I drive at night and its even worse that I cannot find an answer at all.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Bixenon bulbs don't use the outer halogen bulb. I believe the only function that bulb does is follow me home

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
The inner halogen H7 bulbs are used in conjunction with the bixenons in Europe, they are for the bright beams they light up and the xenon shutter opens too. If u change your xenon setting with the Tech2, u can activate those bulbs. I had my '04 set up this way, the Hella bright beam reflectors on the inner bulb are excellent. If u use a silver star or nighthawk bulb in them, they will put like 1,000,000% more light down the road thanm the OEM xenons.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The inner halogen H7 bulbs are used in conjunction with the bixenons in Europe, they are for the bright beams they light up and the xenon shutter opens too. If u change your xenon setting with the Tech2, u can activate those bulbs. I had my '04 set up this way, the Hella bright beam reflectors on the inner bulb are excellent. If u use a silver star or nighthawk bulb in them, they will put like 1,000,000% more light down the road thanm the OEM xenons.
oh btw can I just take it to any GM dealer for reprogramming or do I have to find a saab specific tech

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have a '03 9.3 linear and my two inner bulbs in each assembly would not turn on, ever. The bi-xenon works fine and is on all the time but honestly IMO its barely lighting anything at night so I use my fog lamps or high beam (which is just the bi-xenon shining brighter). I checked the bulbs and they are both fine. No SID codes or headlight malfunctions so I'm completely confused right now. I know they are supposed to work, I checked the fuses that the manual specified, even bought a WIS and I can't find any useful info on this.

Just last night I passed another 9-3 with the same issue. xenons on, and nothing else. First time I ever noticed that on another 9-3 and I realized how ugly that looks at night. It also made me wonder if these lights were just put in to fill space rather than to actually work lol. Does anyone know how to get these lights on? Do I need a T2 to program it or something? I know its not a big issue but it just bugs the hell out of me when I drive at night and its even worse that I cannot find an answer at all.
As HID bulbs age they start to lose lumens, so if you cannot see at night then you need to change the bulbs. Go to www.theretrofitsource.com and buy a set of 4,300k bulbs. I think an 03 takes d2s, while the 2008+ take d1s. Confirm that before you order.

Bi xenon does not make anything brighter. Bi-xenon activated a shutter in the projector that allows the light to go above the cutoff line. It's not making anything brighter, just allows the light to go higher than normal.

Saabalingus what setting do you change to allow the inner bulbs to turn on with the high beams? I just had my tpms disabled at a local shop and wish I would have changed that as well.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Saabalingus what setting do you change to allow the inner bulbs to turn on with the high beams? I just had my tpms disabled at a local shop and wish I would have changed that as well.[/QUOTE]

I did it on my '04 this way, not the '08. On the facelift models the US xenon housings have the low output DRL bulb which has like a 1157 or 3057 blinker bulb type base socket, and unfortunately a regular headlight bulb won't fit. On the Euro facelift models the inner bulb is an H7, which Is for the high beam in conjunction with the xenons. '03-'07 US & Euro housings both had the inner H7 high beam buib, and in the US uu can activate it via Tech2 with ROW setting. The only way to get the inner high beam on facelift models is to use the Euro LHD housings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts