SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it advisable to replace valve guides yourself or is it something best left to a machine shop? If so how does one go about replacing them? The Bentley manual isn’t vary specific, although it does say if you don’t have the proper “Saab” tools then it is possible to change them using “conventional methods”.

What are “Conventional Method's?:confused:

Its my understanding you want to heat the block before removing the old guides and cool the replacement guides before installing them. Bentley says to use hot water, would that be boiling water? And as for cooling the valve guides, would dry ice work or would that be too cold? I don‘t want to run the risk of cracking them.

Do you just drive them out or do you have to use a press?

I’m kind of nervous about taking it in to a machine shop, its been my experience that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks matthew.

After further inspection I found more damage that I didn't see before. It may not be cost effective to repair this head. I may just pull another head from a salvage yard, that is if I can find another one, saabs aren't vary common around here. I think I have the only white 88t in Tulsa county.

This feels strangely familiar, almost like I've been through it before..............:cheesy: :eek: :cry: :confused: :(

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've found another head, there is a slightly ecentric chap in tulsa who collects saabs in his salvage. :D This was where I aquired the one that I used to replace the one that the head shop wouldn't fix or return. I wasn't sure if he would give me another one since I ruined the last one he sold me, or if he even had another, but it turned out he does.:D (I think I've exhausted his supply though, :eek:)

Oh no! This is not good! :(

SOS!! Do any SaabCentral members in Oklahoma have a T16 cylinder heads to Matt?
lol, I don't think there are any other SaabCentral members in Oklahoma, I'm pretty well on my own out here. ;)

Say, you wouldn't be able to use some of those Super Moderator powers of yours and see if there are any other Oklahoman's on the board would you? :D

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts