SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy`s,
I am just visiting from the 900 forum,and i am looking for some HONEST advice.I have just sold my 900t coupe and i am looking for a new toy. Here are the choices BMW 325i COUPE,MERC 230 CLK a 9/3 AERO (old shape) or a 9/5 AREO ESTATE.All are comming in at the same price, around 12k,but the saab is around two years newer and from a franchised dealer.I know the failings of the 9/3 but as i am new to the 9/5 and would be pleased if i could gain as much info on the 9/5 as possible before i spend my hard earned cash.

Many thanks,
Kenny.

Some factors to consider 1- 40 year old family man with 2 kids(insurance ok)
2- I only drive 10-15 miles a day(mpg no problem)
3- About to start a renovation of an old house.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
What a facinating choice, how come coupes, hatches and a wagon are all on the agenda? :confused:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
How much practicality do you want?

If the 9-5 Aero is a post MY02.5 upgrade car, then I'd definately go for this.

The 9-3 Aero if it's one of the last MY02 cars, which it would be for that price, would be a second choice.

Merc would be a third choice, only if it was well specced, but it'll feel like a slug, performance wise, compared to either of the 2 Saabs........

BMW.....:nono;

G

·
As Chris said funny mixed list :eek: In order 9-5 aero estate, 9-3, merc. :)

9-3 alot like 9-5 in many ways. Prone to DI failure, no real biggy. Major sludging issues on older models. Not to bad if you can get full saab service. Check PCV pipes for squidgyness as an indication to the possibility of sludge..

·
Registered
86 Posts
the only advice i would give is always pay that little bit more and buy from a saab dealer,bmw dealer or a merc dealer.speaking through experience i would never buy a car again unless it is from a dealer:nono; but at the end of the day the choice is yours good luck in what ever car you do pick:lol:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
the 9-5 aero is unreasonably quick for a car with only 250 hp....cause saab lies. ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I think Turboken has left the building :roll:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Car Choice

Hi Guy`s,
Sorry i could not hand around last night but it was the kids bath and bed time then i had a date with a few bottles of stella, you know how it is.Anyway back to the car, to answer your question regarding the coupes i have always liked the BM & MERC but until now i have never been able to afford one and i still think if you get one in the correct colour and spec with the right wheels it is still one of the best looking cars on the road today but every car park is full of them (good or bad thing?).This is one of the reasons that i like Saab`s they are that bit different from the run of the mill cars and if you buy the Aero it has everything you could want. So do the 9-5`s have the same suspension probs that the old 900 had or have they got it sorted?

Have to go again as it is my daughter birthday today,

many thanks,
Kenny.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i say bmw 100% i love rwd. merc i dont like bc of no manual tranny. alot of traction control stuff on mercs too. rwd is my support. i drive a ssaab but i would trade it for a rwd any day

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car chioces

Hi Darrel,
I feel exactly the same way about the auto boxes on the merc and trying to find a 6 speed manual on a newer car is a nightmare.I also agree with your views on RWD it is so much more fun than any FWD car. I guess i will have to test drive the models in question an then make my decision.

Kenny.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Definetly keep in mind that Saabs have turbos, the others don't. Whenever I'm not in my Saab I miss that turbo FWD "feel".

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Turboken said:
So do the 9-5`s have the same suspension probs that the old 900 had or have they got it sorted?
What kind of suspension problems did the 900's have? I can't think of anything glaringly wrong with the 9-5 suspension. Still think you should get the aero, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Only problem is premature wear on rear shocks, Aero's don't seem to suffer as badly though. If i was on the market for a new car, i'd drive them all before biting the bullet. I suspect the midrange grunt of the Aero would have me hooked though. :cheesy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts