SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again...

In my quest for 'vert parts, I came across a guy with two complete cars for sale. He's into old Volvos and wanted to unload the Saabs since he has no intention of using them for anything.

Both (along with many of the Volvos) were said to have been trade-ins at a local dealership that were sold to him for lack of a better option, and both supposedly drove to where they're parked now. Unfortunately he's a bit of a hoarder, though, so these cars have sat for a good 5-8 years outdoors without maintenance.

Car #1 is an '89 convertible, white with tan interior, 2.0 turbo, automatic, 85K miles. Top is a bit ratty, interior is mostly junk, and every body panel has rust.

Car #2 is a '91 convertible, black with tan interior, 2.0 turbo, automatic, 168K miles. Top is nice, interior is possibly save-able. It had one large rust spot in an odd place - just below the rear passenger's window.

I was potentially interested in Car #1 for its transmission. He said he's need $400 for each car. I offered him $250, reminding him about the low scrap prices these past weeks, and how it was a pig in a poke mechanically. But he wouldn't budge.

Having recently acquired my thoroughly rust-free '89 5spd vert (running, with 95K miles and a wet interior) for $550, I had no qualms about walking away. But I'm curious what you folks think. Was he offering me a smokin' deal, or was I right to let them lay?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Base on my experience :

So you want two verts ?

89 ECU are the worst, and rust is just way to expensive to fix and that large spot in a odd place will cost you 1000 to 3000 to fix.

For parts for your rust-free parts maybe is a good idea to get the low millage one.

My two cents.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
except the car in front of the screen, and rear all the other parts are mostly unique to the vert.... window mechanism,& glass, roof motor (and it's relays) hydraulic rams pipes will all cost a lot if you had to replace
I bought a 88 for £400 just purely for parts, so I have some and sold other bits I did'nt need before it went to the reclaim yard, the screens are unique to the vert as well and the seals surrounding it, so whatever you get will be payback later, I did'nt need the engine as got one but worth keeping if you have'nt

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
If I had the room for storage I would give him $700 for the pair, strip them of every good part and drag the hulks to the crusher. Despite the rotted panels and interiors it sounds like a good trove of mechanical parts.

By the time all is done you could have a shed full of good useable pieces and all for about $500 by the time you cash out of the carcasses.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
exactly what I'm doing over a couple of days £120 car.... stripping some parts off an Aero LPT 3dr , and another SC member is coming for some bits for his.
has directional alloys new tyres abs unit /sensors I need the three dr seats to get the wire that releases the seat( $35 each wire) full exhaust, new alt, new clutch mc had a nice JVC cd/radio left in it, good rad(probably newish too, Tupperware, noticed there are newish shocks and discs it soon adds up and still get more than £120 when I weigh it in;ol;

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
exactly what I'm doing over a couple of days £120 car.... stripping some parts off an Aero LPT 3dr , and another SC member is coming for some bits for his.
has directional alloys new tyres abs unit /sensors I need the three dr seats to get the wire that releases the seat( $35 each wire) full exhaust, new alt, new clutch mc had a nice JVC cd/radio left in it, good rad(probably newish too, Tupperware, noticed there are newish shocks and discs it soon adds up and still get more than £120 when I weigh it in;ol;
'Zactly ;ol;

·
Registered
366 Posts
Friend of mine just sold three 86-89 Saabs in above described condition - not verts. Scrapper gave him $200 each and he was thrilled.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Friend of mine just sold three 86-89 Saabs in above described condition - not verts. Scrapper gave him $200 each and he was thrilled.
That's about what I was thinking. At that price, I would have stripped them out and crushed the rest. But $400 each seemed pretty steep, all things considered.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally out of touch and passing up something I shouldn't have :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
I must say though, if you need some parts, you'll never get them cheaper. For instance, the top motor alone is worth $100+, seats, wheels, etc. all have nice value IF you need them or anticipate needing them.
Also, it would seem that you could strip the car and still scrap them for a good $200 each.
What a shame - am hearing all kinds of stories of flathead Ford engines being scrapped for the price of the metal, etc. Not good for the antique/classic automobile hobby.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, it would seem that you could strip the car and still scrap them for a good $200 each.
Round these parts right now, it would be more like $125 (give or take, depending on whether motor/tranny/wheels were involved).

What a shame - am hearing all kinds of stories of flathead Ford engines being scrapped for the price of the metal, etc. Not good for the antique/classic automobile hobby.
I know, I feel the same way about the 'crusher epidemic' lately. But the good news here is that, since this guy is a packrat, they won't be going anywhere. Unless the guy dies or skips town (not likely, he's amassed dozens of vehicles over the years and doesn't seem like he's going anywhere) these Saabs will rot into the dirt before they meet the crusher. Which, again, isn't the most fitting end for these cars... but you can't save 'em all.

He said to keep his number in case I change my mind; I basically said 'right back atcha'. We'll see what happens.

If anyone is near Minneapolis, I can put you in touch ;)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
As a Saab packrat, may I offer the following opinion: if within your budget and storage constraints, I would grab both. $400 ea would be very much worth it for the breakable alone, and if the dashes are in good shape, very equitable. That also lets you make the offer to take off his hands any additional items he finds as he goes that are Saab unique. Even if you restored one to run, the other would provide parts for both. Only observation would be to whichever one you decided to get running, do a full transmission service, including band adjustments.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If I had the room for storage I would give him $700 for the pair, strip them of every good part and drag the hulks to the crusher. Despite the rotted panels and interiors it sounds like a good trove of mechanical parts.

By the time all is done you could have a shed full of good useable pieces and all for about $500 by the time you cash out of the carcasses.
This sounds reasonable to me as well. I obviously haven't seen the cars but as others have said there will likely be lots of parts you can sell (in addition to the carcasses) to recover your initial outlay. Plus you'll get lots of spares.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Is there much of a market for used Saab parts out there? Around here, parts - and whole cars - don't sell well at all.

My $550 vert is a good example... it was advertised for $1000 for months before I finally bought it. I was the first one to look at it, and the owner was happy to get anything for it. And that was a low-mile runner.

Funny thing is, I originally found it while looking for a replacement automatic tranny for my '90, and bought it only because it was super solid and equally cheap. I don't anticipate having need for Saab parts long-term... my goal was/is to assemble one "nice" one and call it a day.

At any rate, is there demand for parts from these? If so, I already have a pile of leftovers - there were two in the local boneyards which I scavenged quickly, knowing they'd likely be crushed before I finished my project. I grabbed convertible top motors, console parts, a full set of tan seats, etc. while the getting was good. If there's demand, I may be able to sell off my surplus when finished.

EDIT: Some explanation, so I'm not confusing things. The '90 came first... bought it while it was en route to a junkyard. Supposedly ran good but had a bad ignition lock. All signs pointed to same (key opened doors/trunk but wouldn't turn the ignition, can of penetrating oil in the console, etc) so I grabbed it. Replaced the ignition lock and switch only to find it had a bad automatic tranny. The car's future primary driver preferred an automatic, so I went looking for another identical tranny. I grabbed any potentially useful vert parts I found along the way, excess or not. While searching I found and bought the '89 (a 5spd)... too good a deal to pass up. Later found an auto tranny, took a few weeks installing it, turned out to be junk despite being "tested". Managed to convince said driver to give the '89 a chance... but she still would prefer an auto and implored me to keep trying. Now hunting for yet ANOTHER slushbox, and debating whether I'm willing to do another swap.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
someone always wants something , and considering they have'nt been made for 20 yrs, parts have been available, but now some items are getting scare and some non available only from breakers etc, it just depends if you have the space to keep(or want to), but as some of the cars 'die' for whatever reason, that means there is also a smaller market for parts, but it's a catch 22 situation, you get rid of them and you will see an add for a part and you had it, but dumped it, you keep it you still have it 20 yrs later lol, but things like vert roof pumps, starter, alternators, can always be remanufactutered /done up, but better to get one out the garage than buy a new one if short on cash.
I Have a lot of stuff in my garage 7 petrol pumps 4 chrome grills, 3 starters 4 alts, 2 hoods 2 hatches a boot lid, window motors /mechanisms central locking parts 12 headlights + 2 engines, etc etc etc so I won';t be runnign out of parts for while lol, but I might never use hardly any but at least I have them

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
All this talk...I'd have had these in my backyard by now, half stripped down. The slushboxes would be on ebay, the best engine would be in the shed, the other stripped for its parts. Anything else that was better than good would be off the car. I'd have my $700 back...maybe more...within a week. 'Course maybe in Minneesoda they're all over but here in Colorado I'd have to fight my way through the crowd to get to them first.

Just sayin... :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts